[SOLVED] Can I use a 600W power supply through a 500VA UPS safely?

sebasalvarado2002

Reputable
Nov 7, 2017
I am looking forward to buy a PC that has a 600W power supply. I have a 500VA, 250W capacity UPS. If the capacity of the UPS is lower than the watts the power supply might use, is it safe to use this UPS, or should I get another one?

Of course I don’t plan to game while running the PC on the UPS battery. If there is a power outage I would immediately turn off my PC, but could the PC get damaged if this happens, since the UPS only has a 250W capacity?

I currently run one simple work PC and a low-spec gaming PC + a TV and a monitor, all four in this UPS and I have not had a single problem. Would it be safe to stay like this and to replace the low-spec with a high-spec? I am afraid because of the power outages from rains in my country.

Solution
I am looking forward to buy a PC that has a 600W power supply. I have a 500VA, 250W capacity UPS. If the capacity of the UPS is lower than the watts the power supply might use, is it safe to use this UPS, or should I get another one?

Of course I don’t plan to game while running the PC on the UPS battery. If there is a power outage I would immediately turn off my PC, but could the PC get damaged if this happens, since the UPS only has a 250W capacity?

I currently run one simple work PC and a low-spec gaming PC + a TV and a monitor, all four in this UPS and I have not had a single problem. Would it be safe to stay like this and to replace the low-spec with a high-spec? I am afraid because of the power outages from rains in my...

kanewolf

Titan

I currently run one simple work PC and a low-spec gaming PC + a TV and a monitor, all four in this UPS and I have not had a single problem. Would it be safe to stay like this and to replace the low-spec with a high-spec? I am afraid because of the power outages from rains in my country.
The most likely thing to happen is that if you have a power outage, the PC will immediately shut off because the UPS will be overloaded.
It MAY show overloaded even with mains power.
You need a larger UPS if you want to upgrade your PC, IMO.

Solution