Question Can i use a cooling stand instead of the laptop's fans?

Jul 8, 2024
I have some really loud fans on my laptop and i was wandreing if it is ok using a quieter cooling stand.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full laptop system specs and OS information.

More "cooling" (cooling stand or otherwise) does not necessarily solve the problem.

Are the fans always loud?

Or do they get louder the longer the laptop is in use. Or louder when running certain apps or games?

What games or apps?

Jul 8, 2024
So many factors to consider with no details to help. How old is laptop? Have you ever cleaned it? What model, what are you using it for?
I'm using a Loq15AHP9. I have it for 3 months. I've not cleaned it yet, but since the first time using any game the fans got crazy, I know that is common for gaming laptop but i wish to find a solution.

Jul 8, 2024
Update your post to include full laptop system specs and OS information.

More "cooling" (cooling stand or otherwise) does not necessarily solve the problem.

Are the fans always loud?

Or do they get louder the longer the laptop is in use. Or louder when running certain apps or games?

What games or apps?
I'm using a Loq15AHP9. I have a custom version with ryzen 7 8845hs and rtx 4060 8Gb. 16Gb ddr5 ram. 512gb ssd m2. I'm using a windows 11 pro OS. I know that is common for gaming laptop but i wish to find a solution. I can use a silent mode but I'm scared to damage to hardware, because it gets really hot. It can depends from the game I play. Elden ring is one of the loudest, resident evil 3 remake is not that bad. The cooling system work really good on the laptop but i don't like the noise.

Ralston18

Titan
If the laptop gets too noisy because the fans are running too hard to cool the laptop then finding a balance may be difficult.

Perhaps a laptop cooling pad of some sort could help.

Google "laptop cooling pads" and then refine the search criteria as you read and learn.

And there may be other ideas and suggestions offered.

Likely there will be some trade-offs involved.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have used a couple of active cooling pads over the years but often found them to be more gimmick than actually doing much. In addition to that aspect, they are often louder than the laptops fan.

If the machine is that new there should be no need for cleaning yet. Of course, surely you know to only game or high workload while the lappy is on a flat clean surface like desk or table.

Cooling stands generally don't have much static pressure, so they won't push enough air through the laptop's heatsink to completely substitute for the internal cooling. The main benefit of a cooling stand is the air gap you give below the machine. The fans on a cooling stand do help [actively] cool the bottom panel of the laptop though.