Can i use a windows 8 KEY if i used it to upgrade to WIndows 10 before?

Ferrariassassin

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
WHen i built my PC i bought Windows 8 than upgraded for free to 8.1, than upgraded to 10 for free which is what i have now. I am wanting to install my OS to a new SSD but i fear if i try it my WIndows 8 Code will only work on Windows 8 due to 10 not being free now. I got Windows 10 when it first came out for free download. My windows 8 was a legal copy also. What i am asking is, will i need to buy windows 10 to use it or can i use my windows 8 code and it be used as windows 10? Also instead of deleting everything on my SSD cant i like copy everything to my new SSD? Or is that not possible?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Your Windows 8 code became a Windows 10 key when you upgraded it. If you install Windows 10 onto your SSD (in the same computer), you should be able to activate using that key.

There is software for cloning your hard drive over to an SSD.

-Wolf sends

Ferrariassassin

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014

Ok thank you so much! One last question. When you clone a HDD does it actually clone and copy EVERYTHING? So say if i do clone it, could i technically unplug one and plug th eother back up and not be able to tell the difference?