[SOLVED] Can I use an exhaust fan as intake for this pc?

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
I have an HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop, which is a good computer however it can get very hot, especially in summer days. I have a spare exhaust fan, and I see my computer has a grill with a filter that can fit an 80mm or 92mm fan, but like it should be intake. I heard that exhaust fans can overheat the parts since the grill is where the fresh cool air comes from. So I dont know if I should install my exhaust fan in the grill. I am an absolute noob when it comes to fans so this question might sound dumb.

SPECS (because I was advised by a mod)
CPU: Ryzen 3 5300G
GPU: GeForce GTX 1650 Super
MOBO: HP branded
RAM: 8 GB (2x4) 3200
PSU: 400W 80+ Gold HP proprietary
STORAGE: 1 TB SSD, 1 TB HDD, 256 GB NVME SSD

Last edited:
Solution
Oh ok, so it can suck in cool air through the grill I suppose?

Find out by experimentation.

A typical fan spins in one direction only. Clockwise or counter-clockwise. One of those two.

"Suck" or "blow", the fan is doing the same thing regardless....spinning in the only direction it can.

Mount it whatever way you want and observe airflow direction by smoke, finger, lit match, whatever.

If that is not the way you want, flip the fan 180 degrees.
I heard that exhaust fans can overheat the parts since the grill is where the fresh cool air comes from. So I dont know if I should install my exhaust fan in the grill.

Can you rephrase that first sentence above?

Certain fans may be designed to be superior for certain purposes.....such as for blowing against a restricted area such as a tower heatsink with 50 fins or a heavy grill. As opposed to a heatsink with 30 fins, a light grill, or with no restrictions at all.

You'd normally want ALL fans to be moving air in the same direction, regardless of type, which would usually be front to rear with an upward bias.

I am using a Noctua NF-F12, supposedly best against a heatsink, as an ordinary front intake fan in a case with a modest grill. Fan geeks would tell you that I should use a Noctua A or S model instead.

I'd seriously doubt the difference would be worth talking about...nowhere near what you'd experience if fan speeds increased by 500 rpm, for instance.

I'm not aware of fans being classified as "exhaust fans" or "intake fans" per se. If they blow into the front of a typical case, they are an intake. If they suck air out of the back or top, they are an exhaust. You have control over direction of airflow.

AspectSaber

Commendable
Oct 2, 2021
Can you rephrase that first sentence above?

Certain fans may be designed to be superior for certain purposes.....such as for blowing against a restricted area such as a tower heatsink with 50 fins or a heavy grill. As opposed to a heatsink with 30 fins, a light grill, or with no restrictions at all.

You'd normally want ALL fans to be moving air in the same direction, regardless of type, which would usually be front to rear with an upward bias.

I am using a Noctua NF-F12, supposedly best against a heatsink, as an ordinary intake fan in a case with a modest grill. Fan geeks would tell you that I should use a Noctua A or S model instead.

I'd seriously doubt the difference would be worth talking about...nowhere near what you'd experience if fan speeds increased by 500 rpm, for instance.

I'm not aware of fans being classified as "exhaust fans" or "intake fans". If they blow into the front of a typical tower, they are an intake. If they suck air out of the back or top, they are an exhaust. You have control over direction of airflow.
Wait, so fans don't really have "intake" or "exhaust"? I can just plug in any fan in the grill?

Oh ok, so it can suck in cool air through the grill I suppose?

Find out by experimentation.

A typical fan spins in one direction only. Clockwise or counter-clockwise. One of those two.

"Suck" or "blow", the fan is doing the same thing regardless....spinning in the only direction it can.

Mount it whatever way you want and observe airflow direction by smoke, finger, lit match, whatever.

If that is not the way you want, flip the fan 180 degrees.

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes to above. But even before mounting, check this. Most fans have two arrows moulded into their frame exterior. One points AROUND the frame to indicate the direction of rotation of the fan when plugged in correctly. The other points THROUGH the frame to indicate direction of AIR FLOW it generates.

Reactions: AspectSaber