Not open for further replies.

Pythun

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
Im about to upgrade my PC

CPU: i3 6100 3.7GHz
GPU: gtx 750ti 2gb
MB: H110M-R/C/SI

And here comes my question. With the upgrade i will need to change my ddr3 4GB RAM sticks with some new one(s) ddr4 8GB. My motherboard has two RAM slots and i wonder if i can take one 8GB RAM stick and let the other slot empty. Will that work and would you recomend me rather to get 2x4GB RAM sticks rather.

Solution
Yes, you can.
Since you are using a discrete graphics card and not integrated graphics, the performance difference is minimal.

The main consideration comes with estimating your future need for more ram.
Do not count on being able to upgrade one stick with a second that you purchase later. Ram needs to be matched.
Even the same part number can differ enough to not work.
If you might ever want 16gb, buy a 2 x 8gb kit up front.

Otherwise, buy a 2 x 4gb kit and get faster dual channel operation.
If you ever need a ram upgrade in the future, be prepared to sell the old kit or keep it for baclup.

... but the price is you would not be able to increase RAM amount later.

grmnlxndr

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Yes it works, you won't be running in dual channel but from my perspective it doesn't affect much in the day to day performance. I won't suggest you to get 2x4GB because you won't be able to upgrade later. Just get one 8GB DDR4 and later you could get another 8 or 16 stick.

Best Regards

Yes, you can.
Since you are using a discrete graphics card and not integrated graphics, the performance difference is minimal.

The main consideration comes with estimating your future need for more ram.
Do not count on being able to upgrade one stick with a second that you purchase later. Ram needs to be matched.
Even the same part number can differ enough to not work.
If you might ever want 16gb, buy a 2 x 8gb kit up front.

Otherwise, buy a 2 x 4gb kit and get faster dual channel operation.
If you ever need a ram upgrade in the future, be prepared to sell the old kit or keep it for baclup.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.