Can i use Windows Xp home for business use?

I dont really need all the features of windows XP pro so i was wondering if I
can use XP home instead for my business (internet cafe)

it would be a cheaper alternative

"qra" <qra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I dont really need all the features of windows XP pro so i was wondering if
> can use XP home instead for my business (internet cafe)
>
> it would be a cheaper alternative

Absolutly - IF - you genuinely believe you do not need the functionality of
the Pro version such as Domain managed Group Policy Objects to centrally
manage and lock down your machines out on the cafe floor.
Personally I cannot see an efficient way of you doing this without Pro and
the appropriate Server infrastructure.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"qra" <qra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I dont really need all the features of windows XP pro so i was wondering if
> can use XP home instead for my business (internet cafe)
>
> it would be a cheaper alternative

Alias

Yes, you can and buy the OEM version, not the rip off Retail version.

Alias

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "qra" <qra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I dont really need all the features of windows XP pro so i was wondering
>>if I
>> can use XP home instead for my business (internet cafe)
>>
>> it would be a cheaper alternative
>
> Absolutly - IF - you genuinely believe you do not need the functionality
> of the Pro version such as Domain managed Group Policy Objects to
> centrally manage and lock down your machines out on the cafe floor.
> Personally I cannot see an efficient way of you doing this without Pro and
> the appropriate Server infrastructure.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
> --
> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

He could use Deep Freeze.

Alias

> rights

> newsgroups
>
> "qra" <qra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I dont really need all the features of windows XP pro so i was wondering
>>if I
>> can use XP home instead for my business (internet cafe)
>>
>> it would be a cheaper alternative

i wont have much problem with managing the domain since i will be using third
party cafe management software (including billing) for that

tnx for the answer

In news:3BE36D23-600D-44F7-91AD-1375D588D1D6@microsoft.com,
qra <qra@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I dont really need all the features of windows XP pro so i was
> wondering if I can use XP home instead for my business
> (internet cafe)
>
> it would be a cheaper alternative

Certainly. The words "Home" and "Professional" have no legal
meanings. They are just marketing terms; you can think of them as
"Basic" and "Advanced," rather than "Home" and "Professional."
You can use Home in a business or Professional at home without
any restrictions.

If Home meets your needs, that's what you should use. There's
absolutely no reason to spend anything extra for Professional if
you don't need its extra features, regardless of whether your use
is in your home or business.

Please reply to the newsgroup

For an indepth discussion of the differences, see
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp.asp

qra wrote:
> i wont have much problem with managing the domain since i will be using third
> party cafe management software (including billing) for that

If you actually have a domain, then you'll need to use WinXP Pro.
WinXP Home cannot be made to join a domain.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm