Question Can multiple users simultaneously remote into a single windows 10 machine?

Jul 2, 2019
I have a very high spec machine with windows 10 installed.

Is there a way to allow multiple users to remote access and use the machine at the same time?

D

Deleted member 14196

you need to run a server os and then you can configure multiple user access via RDP, but that costs a lot

Jul 2, 2019
I built this machine for someone at my organisation, i believe its for Matlab usage, they would like multiple members of their team to be able to remotely use the machine at the same time.

D

Deleted member 14196

MatLab runs on Linux, right? that might be your most cost effective route as Windows Server and seats are not cheap

D

Deleted member 14196

Yup. Last I checked, Matlab had Linux installations available for use.

Linux, being a true multiuser OS, would make it an easier implementation than trying to do it on windows.
i don't know, it's really simple to set up Remote Desktop on server... lol, real easy. but expensive.

D

Deleted member 14196

it's just that with Linux, since I don't use it that much for server stuff, I have to look that stuff up.. lol

Jul 2, 2019
Thanks for your time guys,

So to clarify, its not possible on windows 10?

This team seems to have money to burn, so cost wouldn't be an issue, if i have to go with windows server then so be it although ideally it would be nice to avoid having to do that.

What you're looking for under Windows is Virtual Desktop Environment. Even if you install Windows Server, it allows for up to two independent sessions, after that you have to install Terminal Server and CALs. You're looking at like $5k just in software licenses. And I'm not sure whether Mathlab license allows for that, either.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for your time guys,

So to clarify, its not possible on windows 10?

This team seems to have money to burn, so cost wouldn't be an issue, if i have to go with windows server then so be it although ideally it would be nice to avoid having to do that.
Multiple simultaneous users, no.

With "money to burn", either a Windows server license, or Linux.
But with "money to burn", why a single box for this?