Question Can multiple users simultaneously remote into a single windows 10 machine?

Jul 2, 2019
I have a very high spec machine with windows 10 installed.

Is there a way to allow multiple users to remote access and use the machine at the same time?

AllanGH

Estimable
Mar 10, 2019
What is the purpose for allowing remote access to multiple users on this windows machine?

If it is for tasks that are not specific to the windows platform, most Linux distros will allow multiple user access, with no special configuration.

Reactions: Mandark
Jul 2, 2019
I built this machine for someone at my organisation, i believe its for Matlab usage, they would like multiple members of their team to be able to remotely use the machine at the same time.

AllanGH

Estimable
Mar 10, 2019
Yup. Last I checked, Matlab had Linux installations available for use.

Linux, being a true multiuser OS, would make it an easier (and far less costly) implementation than trying to do it on windows.

Reactions: Mandark
Jul 2, 2019
Thanks for your time guys,

So to clarify, its not possible on windows 10?

This team seems to have money to burn, so cost wouldn't be an issue, if i have to go with windows server then so be it although ideally it would be nice to avoid having to do that.

What you're looking for under Windows is Virtual Desktop Environment. Even if you install Windows Server, it allows for up to two independent sessions, after that you have to install Terminal Server and CALs. You're looking at like $5k just in software licenses. And I'm not sure whether Mathlab license allows for that, either.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Thanks for your time guys,

So to clarify, its not possible on windows 10?

This team seems to have money to burn, so cost wouldn't be an issue, if i have to go with windows server then so be it although ideally it would be nice to avoid having to do that.
Multiple simultaneous users, no.

With "money to burn", either a Windows server license, or Linux.
But with "money to burn", why a single box for this?

Jul 2, 2019
Multiple simultaneous users, no.

With "money to burn", either a Windows server license, or Linux.
But with "money to burn", why a single box for this?
Im building another four high spec machines for their team but this particular one they wanted to be able to remote into.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS