Question Can older Asus PRIME X399-A MB handle RTX 4080?

Jul 11, 2024
I have a system with the following components:

AMD Ryzen TR 2950 processor
Asus PRIME X399-A motherboard
Nvidia RTX 2080 GPU
Corsair Dominator DDR4 3200 C16 RAM 4 x 16GB (64 GB total)
Cooler Master V1000 power supply
SSD boot drive
Windows 10

Can I swap out my older gpu for a GEFORCE RTX 4080 GPU with the current configuration? It looks like I can fit it into the slots, but the power supply connections don't seem to fit.

I'm not a computer expert by any means, although I have built a computer once every 4 or 5 years when I need to upgrade. What do you think?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Will it work, yes, will it allow you to squeeze every ounce of performance out of the GPU, maybe, maybe not. You should be fine with the platform you have, to swap over the RTX4080. How old is the PSU in your build?

You should get an adapter that will adapt PCIe connections to the 12VHPWR connector on the card.

Jul 11, 2024
The PSU is 6 years old. Probably too old for this setup?

One problem I had when I took a cursory look at everything was the connections from the PSU didn't fit the ones for the RTX 4080. But then I am worried that if I put in a new PSU I won't have the right connections from the PSU to the motherboard, drives, etc?

I have a large case (be quiet! BGW11 Dark Base Pro 900 ATX full tower), so likely would hold a larger PSU with zero problems.