ChristosPan

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
Hello !

I own a ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI) and i am thinking of buying BeyerDynamic DT 990 Pro (which is 250 ohms) but i am not sure if the ROG AUDIO can drive this headset. The official site of ASUS doesn't clarify anything about the ohms that this motherboard can handle. It uses the RC4580 op amp but i don't know much about it.

This is what the official site says about the AUDIO :
SUPREMEFX
ROG's SupremeFX audio technology has levelled up, delivering an exceptional 113dB signal-to-noise ratio on the line-in connection to provide best-ever recording quality. We've also added a low-dropout regulator for cleaner power delivery to the SupremeFX S1220 codec, an ESS® Sabre Hi-Fi ES9023P digital-to-analog converter for superior front-panel output, and a Texas Instruments® RC4580 op amp for high gain with low distortion — all to deliver audio that envelops you as never before.

Link Motherboard : https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO-WI-FI/

Can this MOBA Drive the Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 ohm edition?

Thanks in advance

Solution
Thanks for the info! so i am thinking of buying a schiit magni 3 amplifier. do i have to buy an external DAC like schiit modi 3 ( another 100$ ) to combo ? or the amplifier alone is ok since my moba has dac build in?

i dont understand why people buy seperate DAC and AMP and not a complete DAC/Amp in a single case. What's the best thing to do? i am really confused :/

Disclaimer: Im not gonna pretend like i know alot about this topic.
I got a Aune X1 Mini DAC (good budget/beginner DAC/AMP far as i know) for my Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and im very happy with it.
How it compairs to other DAC/AMP i dont know, as its the only one i used.
I would advice this if youre interested to read a guide for DAC/AMP...

Yonose

Distinguished
SupremeFX supports 32ohms - 600 ohms
  • SupremeFX may not be able to drive some headsets with extremely low sensitivity. Please check with the headset manufacturer for more details regarding your headsets.
https://www.asus.com/microsite/mb/ROG-supremefx-gaming-audio/faq.html

Off-topic: Can i ask why you dont want a standalone DAQ/AMP for your headset? It will after all be better thinking off noise from the motherboard? and better sound quality(?)

Last edited:
Reactions: ChristosPan

ChristosPan

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
SupremeFX supports 32ohms - 600 ohms
  • SupremeFX may not be able to drive some headsets with extremely low sensitivity. Please check with the headset manufacturer for more details regarding your headsets.
https://www.asus.com/microsite/mb/ROG-supremefx-gaming-audio/faq.html

Off-topic: Can i ask why you dont want a standalone DAQ/AMP for your headset? It will after all be better thinking off noise from the motherboard? and better sound quality(?)
Thanks for the info! so i am thinking of buying a schiit magni 3 amplifier. do i have to buy an external DAC like schiit modi 3 ( another 100$ ) to combo ? or the amplifier alone is ok since my moba has dac build in?

i dont understand why people buy seperate DAC and AMP and not a complete DAC/Amp in a single case. What's the best thing to do? i am really confused :/

You would want an external DAC/AMP. I use the motherboard optical output to a DAC.

A DAC/AMP in one is just personal choice. I chose to use a DAC only as I can change to whatever AMP I like. I use my headphone system for listening to music and also gaming. If it was gaming only I'd have a small desktop DAC/AMP combo.

Yonose

Distinguished

Disclaimer: Im not gonna pretend like i know alot about this topic.
I got a Aune X1 Mini DAC (good budget/beginner DAC/AMP far as i know) for my Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and im very happy with it.
How it compairs to other DAC/AMP i dont know, as its the only one i used.
I would advice this if youre interested to read a guide for DAC/AMP:
https://www.head-fi.org/articles/head-fi-buying-guide-desktop-amps-dacs.17585/

Reactions: ChristosPan
Solution