Question Can third-party data loss recovery programs really recover every deleted file?

PetarStev

Reputable
Jul 3, 2019
First of all, I know they can recover many. But I had an incident where I executed the chkdsk /f /r /x command after having the 'can't recognize device descriptor' error. So I restarted my PC as that is the way to execute this particular command, but didn't realize I had my monitor and TV plugged in my GPU at the same time. So when I restarted my PC the only thing I saw was a black screen on my monitor, so I pressed buttons like the arrow keys, F8, enter, shift + something I forgot. After half an hour or so I had realized that the HDMI cable plugged in from my TV was the problem but I still went to reinstall Windows. When I selected the custom installation option for the installation, I saw that my HDD which had Windows on it, had been formatted. Probably the most stressful hour of my life, but I got that much stressed out when I saw that my HDD was formatted. OK, so I installed Windows and all that along with data recovery software. Tried Recoverit, EaseUS's Data Recovery Software and other ones, but they didn't find one single file from the time before it got formatted. Though it found some older files that I don't even need. I've been looking for a way to get them back but I doubt a programmer could do it. Any answers to my problem?

luketexas

Honorable
Sep 14, 2015
You reinstalled Windows and at the same time obviously re-formatted your OS drive? It's highly unlikely that you will be able to recover the data yourself, especially if you've already tried the recovery software that you have. You could approach a data recover business if it's critical that you recover your data, but your chances dissipate the further you use the drive ie. every Write to the drive limits your chances of recovering lost sectors.

PetarStev

Reputable
Jul 3, 2019
You reinstalled Windows and at the same time obviously re-formatted your OS drive? It's highly unlikely that you will be able to recover the data yourself, especially if you've already tried the recovery software that you have. You could approach a data recover business if it's critical that you recover your data, but your chances dissipate the further you use the drive ie. every Write to the drive limits your chances of recovering lost sectors.
They weren't like VERY important files. There were some FL Studio projects I had along with some amateur photoshop and Serum presets. Also had some PES 2017 save's but I guess they weren't that important for me to go to Data Loss 'Recoverers'.

Reactions: luketexas