DangerousPie03

Honorable
Jul 11, 2014
I want to be able to make 17 volts and 5-10 amps. I have a 12 volt lead-acid battery and a 12 volt to 5 volt transformer that can handle about 30 amps. If I power the transformer with the battery, can I connect the output of the transformer and the same battery in series to get 17 volts?
Thanks for any thoughts.

Edit: It's all DC.

Last edited:
OP presumably doesn't know the functional difference between a transformer and a wall adapter.

As it is now, I have no idea what device OP actually have by hand. It might as well be a regular wall adapter, or an actual transformer (windings around an iron core).

How I read it: I have a "transformer" (probably, DC buck converter) which is powered by 12VDC, and outputs 5VDC. Can I connect this in series with the same battery I use to power that unit, and get 17VDC?

My answer also would be NO (there's pretty good chance the output is galvanically connected to the input). Get another 6VDC battery, and you'll get 18VDC - I suppose your load is not that picky about voltages.

Reactions: DangerousPie03

Ralston18

Titan
I am curious about the 17volt requirement and how that value was decided/required?

Schematic?

Is this just a pure exercise/experiment to come up with 17VDC ?

E.g.: Given a 12 VDC battery and a 12 VDC to 5 VDC buck converter design a circuit that will output 17 VDC?

Homework?