[SOLVED] can you damage a GPU by having a loose power (8/6-pin) connector?

aceace33333

Honorable
Jan 5, 2016
So I recently installed a new GPU (2080ti, 'MSI GAMING TRI' edition), which requires two 8-pin power connectors and one 6-pin power connector. Been running it for about a week with no issues. But just earlier tonight, right after booting up computer and getting to desktop, my image went out, and my monitor said 'no signal' even though the computer was running. After turning off / unplugging PC and opening it up, I decided to check my PSU connectors to my GPU, and noticed one of them was loose / not plugged in all the way. After completely unplugging and replugging the 3 power connectors (very firmly this time) and booting up my PC, my screen issue was resolved.

My actual / main question is... since one of the power connectors was clearly loose this whole time... did that damage my GPU at all, having it running with a loose cord? I obviously know overclocking/adding too much voltage is a danger for damage, but I'm not familiar with any adverse/damaging effects of under-powering a cord, such as a loose power connector. Thx in advance for help.

Solution
it should be fine provided the power going to the card was in spec.
PC are DC, 12V, 5V, 3.3V. the only real damage that can happen from under-powering would be in storage (data corruption). like a flashlight or radio with weak batteries they just stop. the card was connected then, through heating and cooling or a tremor or a gremlin, the cable loosened and the power dropped like a low battery the card just died.
if loss of power damaged devices laptops would have a very short life.

make sure they are secured, sounds like you did, and periodically check for the gremlin.

if you are really freaking out you can run the card through benchmarking tests to see that it is performing properly. I would suggest a marathon gaming session myself.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it should be fine provided the power going to the card was in spec.
PC are DC, 12V, 5V, 3.3V. the only real damage that can happen from under-powering would be in storage (data corruption). like a flashlight or radio with weak batteries they just stop. the card was connected then, through heating and cooling or a tremor or a gremlin, the cable loosened and the power dropped like a low battery the card just died.
if loss of power damaged devices laptops would have a very short life.

make sure they are secured, sounds like you did, and periodically check for the gremlin.

if you are really freaking out you can run the card through benchmarking tests to see that it is performing properly. I would suggest a marathon gaming session myself.

Solution