[SOLVED] can you run a 1050 ti with i9?

Jun 18, 2020
So am in need of a new cpu and thinking of the i9-9900k as the 10900k isn't that much more powerful so I think its just overkill, plus I only have a 1050 ti, will an i9 pair well with this? I play mostly csgo, apex legends and other games on low settings anyways but just don't want to order it and my pc bottleneck to hell, please help, thanks in advance

p.s I will be getting the 3070 at the start of next year hopefully so just needs to last until then

Solution
ok great, thank you so much, also what is bottlenecking for pc then? I always thought it was when parts couldn't keep up with each other? is it like if I had a 750 ti with an i9?
Mostly correct.

One part does not let some other part reach its full potential.

For instance, my current system (list below)
i7-4790k/RX580

If I were to swap in a RTX3080, the "bottleneck" would be 'worse', but the overall performance would be better. Better graphics at the same FPS.
Now....the 4790k can't feed individual frames to the 3080 fast enough to let the 3080 really shine.

But the system will not be slower than original.

In your case, a better CPU has the potential to be able to feed the 1050ti faster than it can keep up with...
Jun 18, 2020
Adding in a better CPU does not make your system run slower. Even if paired with an older GPU.
The much misused term "bottleneck" does not work like that.
ok great, thank you so much, also what is bottlenecking for pc then? I always thought it was when parts couldn't keep up with each other? is it like if I had a 750 ti with an i9?

USAFRet

Titan
Mostly correct.

i7-4790k/RX580

If I were to swap in a RTX3080, the "bottleneck" would be 'worse', but the overall performance would be better. Better graphics at the same FPS.
Now....the 4790k can't feed individual frames to the 3080 fast enough to let the 3080 really shine.

In your case, a better CPU has the potential to be able to feed the 1050ti faster than it can keep up with.
But worst case scenario is that you get the exact same performance you have now.

Reactions: Mikoooo
Solution
Jun 18, 2020
Mostly correct.

i7-4790k/RX580

In your case, a better CPU has the potential to be able to feed the 1050ti faster than it can keep up with.
But worst case scenario is that you get the exact same performance you have now.
Ok thanks, yeah my old pc was bottlenecking had an old cpu with a newer gpu so it had bad fps but yeah but at least I can wait a bit longer to buy a new gpu

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Biggest possible/probable bottleneck of any pc is the Software it runs. CSGO for instance is a 2 threaded title, so in the original maps it's quite easy to see 250-300fps on even a dual core cpu. Newer/stronger cpus just get better. Swtor is an online mmorpg, in story/single aspects, ultra settings and all the bells and whistles and above 90fps is normal. Jump into a 24man Boss fight, and all the AI from all those bells and whistles and cpu bound settings can drop that to 5fps without blinking on an 8thread cpu.

The cpu sets the fps, it pre-renders all the frames, sets objects placement, deals with AI etc. The gpu is graphical settings and resolution. It only has to live upto what the cpu sends it. If the cpu sends 400fps, the gpu has that amount to work with, so may not get there, but if the cpu only sends 30fps, the gpu may have an easy time with ultra.

A top line cpu might get to better 'benchmark' fps, but if that 1050ti is already struggling with your detail settings, a better cpu will not help. Won't hurt, but won't help.

To answer your question, yes, a GTX1050ti can be used with a 9900K as well as with any other processor you might care to use.

There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

What is your current cpu and gpu?
One or the other will be your limiting factor for YOUR games.

Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

As to a processor upgrade, there are several options, depending on your budget.
The newly announced amd 5000 series would be a strong upgrade, if... you can buy one.
Coupled with a ipc boost and a clock around 5.0 that would be the strongest upgrade.

Today, with your apparent budget of $300-$400 for a processor, I would look at the i5-10600K.
The top clock for the 10600K will be similar to the 9900k, 10700K, and 10900K.
That is what a game like CSGO needs.
The difference is in how many threads you get. 12 threads for a 10600K should be more than enough.
Few games can make effective use of more than 4-6 threads. Multiplayer excepted.

Jun 18, 2020
To answer your question, yes, a GTX1050ti can be used with a 9900K as well as with any other processor you might care to use.

There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

What is your current cpu and gpu?
One or the other will be your limiting factor for YOUR games.

Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

As to a processor upgrade, there are several options, depending on your budget.
The newly announced amd 5000 series would be a strong upgrade, if... you can buy one.
Coupled with a ipc boost and a clock around 5.0 that would be the strongest upgrade.

Today, with your apparent budget of $300-$400 for a processor, I would look at the i5-10600K.
The top clock for the 10600K will be similar to the 9900k, 10700K, and 10900K.
That is what a game like CSGO needs.
The difference is in how many threads you get. 12 threads for a 10600K should be more than enough.
Few games can make effective use of more than 4-6 threads. Multiplayer excepted.
Great, thank you

yes with my csgo no matter what settings I lowered was always stuck on same fps with bad stutter, so hoping this will fix this issue, Im wanting to get an i9 as eventually I will get a new gpu as want this pc to last me a while before I need to replace anything (Knock on wood!)

But with the bottlenecking pretty much it will release the strain on the gpu and help with stutter and low fps? as csgo is quite a cpu heavy game and I think the graphics only need a gtx 1050-1080

Was going to get an x chip so I can overclock it, but doubt I will need to with the games Im currently playing and I also already have the mobo so I need a 300 series chip and i9 looked the fit

Jun 18, 2020
Biggest possible/probable bottleneck of any pc is the Software it runs. CSGO for instance is a 2 threaded title, so in the original maps it's quite easy to see 250-300fps on even a dual core cpu. Newer/stronger cpus just get better. Swtor is an online mmorpg, in story/single aspects, ultra settings and all the bells and whistles and above 90fps is normal. Jump into a 24man Boss fight, and all the AI from all those bells and whistles and cpu bound settings can drop that to 5fps without blinking on an 8thread cpu.

The cpu sets the fps, it pre-renders all the frames, sets objects placement, deals with AI etc. The gpu is graphical settings and resolution. It only has to live upto what the cpu sends it. If the cpu sends 400fps, the gpu has that amount to work with, so may not get there, but if the cpu only sends 30fps, the gpu may have an easy time with ultra.

A top line cpu might get to better 'benchmark' fps, but if that 1050ti is already struggling with your detail settings, a better cpu will not help. Won't hurt, but won't help.
Yes I just need a beefy cpu really, I play on low settings for most games, im not a graphics person, much more of an fps whore when it comes to shooters

My problem with my old pc is it was an old i7 and it just kept getting slower so needed an upgrade, was just hoping it wouldnt cause issues with an older gpu

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm running an i7-3770K and can get 300fps with mostly ultra settings in Office with a gtx970. There are some few cpu bound settings I lower, like grass detail, viewing distance etc. The maps are close enough I don't need to see the rocks on the mountains in the distance kinda thing. That's less objects the cpu has to place, since they don't exist.

Of course Sand II isn't a factory original map, it's user created and popular enough to have been uploaded and included in the game, but the object details are more involved, so fps drops to 175-200ish.

Still plenty far enough above my 60Hz monitors refresh to make no playable or visual differences.