[SOLVED] Can you run an 8pin +6pin with 2 6pins?

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016
Have a slight issue as my little brother is upgrading his graphics card to a card that requires an 8pin +6pin, but PSU only has two 6pins, I have heard conflicting reports that two of the pins are only for grounding and are completely safe, and others saying that the card will not get the power needed, or the 6pin will suffer trying to produce an 8pin load to the card. His power supply seems to be a cheap metal box (brand new though), I am aware of the dangers that could produce to his entire system if that fails, just need to know if his current PSU is feasible for the time being until he can upgrade the unit?

Edit: Just to note he does not have expensive parts looking to buy an old GTX 970, plus he only has an old FM4 chip in there currently, but is looking to upgrade to a cheap Ryzen 3 near Christmas when we'll be putting in a new PSU hopefully!

Thanks In advance!

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016
Wow, that PSU is junk, as in posses a serious danger to the health of the system kinda junk. By current standards it is more like a 275w PSU given the weak 12v output.

Not the answer I was hoping to here haha! I have no idea on the technicalities of a PSU unfortunately, I'll have to get my old Corsair VS650 out of storage for now, and maybe sell both and Maybe get an EVGA 500w for £50? What do you think?

USAFRet

Titan
Not the answer I was hoping to here haha! I have no idea on the technicalities of a PSU unfortunately, I'll have to get my old Corsair VS650 out of storage for now, and maybe sell both and Maybe get an EVGA 500w for £50? What do you think?
Sell the VS650 and the TaurusX?
Neither of those are worth putting in a box and taking to the post office.
Seriously.

Esp the Taurus...it should be sent to the recycling center, just so that no one else ever gets their hands on it. It is not a safe device.

bignastyid

Titan
Better to find out now than after the fire.

A Corsair CX550 would be a better option but in the current market its likely going to be around £60.

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016

A Corsair CX550 would be a better option but in the current market its likely going to be around £60.

Would the VS650 be an okay stop-gap? I had no idea how terrible it was, I mean I knew it wasn't great? And as for the TaurusX it was previously running a GTX 760 ROG STRIKER which required an 8pin and a 6pin, (forgot to mention that earlier) thought it did boot, I'm guessing it wasn't entirely safe haha.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
No, it isn't. EVGA makes some really good PSUs, but also a bunch of crappy ones, and they seem to come out with a new model every other week.

Click on the first link in my sig. That is a MUST read, and is what I use as my go-to guide, for picking a good PSU.

It's also very good about pointing out what sorts of PSUs to avoid.

Keep in mind - a PSU is a safety device. A high quality one will protect your components, a poor quality one can shorten their life. If a good quality PSU fails, it kills itself to protect your equipment. A poor quality one, which is far more prone to failure, or even not delivering the power it claims, will likely take out other components with it, or, possibly, start a fire.

A good PSU should be a priority over other upgrades. Unfortunately, the pandemic has pushed prices upward.

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016
No, it isn't. EVGA makes some really good PSUs, but also a bunch of crappy ones, and they seem to come out with a new model every other week.

Click on the first link in my sig. That is a MUST read, and is what I use as my go-to guide, for picking a good PSU.

Keep in mind - a PSU is a safety device. A high quality one will protect your components, a poor quality one can shorten their life. If a good quality PSU fails, it kills itself to protect your equipment. A poor quality one, which is far more prone to failure, or even not delivering the power it claims, will likely take out other components with it, or, possibly, start a fire.

A good PSU should be a priority over other upgrades. Unfortunately, the pandemic has pushed prices upward.

Thanks for the recommendations! under the Corsair one, I don't believe you mentioned their CV lineup? I have a corsair CV550 for £45 here? Is that any good for a budget system?

EDIT: To put it plainly (hopefully not rudely) He ideally doesn't want to spend above £45-50, if their are any names you could also throw out I'd be more than grateful

EDIT EDIT: I've done some research on it onlime, and it seems to not be a fantastic choice, and people are saying just got for the CX line-up, no the CX-M, however these models are pushing £70, Are there any worth it around the £50 mark, as I'm looking at a few EVGA bronzes but not too sure which ones to trust? Again any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations! under the Corsair one, I don't believe you mentioned their CV lineup? I have a corsair CV550 for £45 here? Is that any good for a budget system?

EDIT: To put it plainly (hopefully not rudely) He ideally doesn't want to spend above £45-50, if their are any names you could also throw out I'd be more than grateful

EDIT EDIT: I've done some research on it onlime, and it seems to not be a fantastic choice, and people are saying just got for the CX line-up, no the CX-M, however these models are pushing £70, Are there any worth it around the £50 mark, as I'm looking at a few EVGA bronzes but not too sure which ones to trust? Again any help would be greatly appreciated
The CX series would be the lowest worthwhile recommendation to be pairing with a GTX 970. The other lower models mentioned are either unsafe or only viable for an office pc.

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016
The CX series would be the lowest worthwhile recommendation to be pairing with a GTX 970. The other lower models mentioned are either unsafe or only viable for an office pc.

Thanks for all the help gents! According to the 'jonnyguru's recommendations when you have to go cheap on the PSU' I'm going to go for the Cooler Master MWE WHITE V2, I'll link it in the bottom of this reply. Any objections to this? I understand It's not ideal, and the current system it will be used in currently, is:

Amd A8 7650k
GTX 970 GIGABYTE G1
A78m-e35 board. One ssd and a 7200RPM drive
1 8gb ddr3 1333mhz

To be upgraded too
Ryzen 5 2600 or Ryzen 3 3100
GTX 970 GIGABYTE G1
Budget B450 TBD
2 8Gb DDR4 3200

Link to PSU: https://www.awd-it.co.uk/cooler-mas...b_NT5ho_SPglBqPJTlYgd3dzqoN0ubxMaAmShEALw_wcB