[SOLVED] Can you use 2x6pin connectors for an 8 pin GPU ?

Aug 15, 2020
Hi,

I just bought a gtx1660 which needs an 8 pin connectors, but my PSU only has 6pins, I found a molex to 6pin laying around, so I was wondering if I can use that to make the extra 2pin to connect it with the original 6pin cable coming from the PSU.

I know I should buy a molex to 8pin but they told me it will be available a week from now :(

Thank you.

Aug 15, 2020
what? I though that was a normal thing, I saw a bunch of youtube videos recommending it, I'm glad I didn't find the adapter today.
Thank you guys, I'll just get a new PSU then.

I recommend stop watching youtube
Actually, you can WATCH Youtube, so long as you understand you will need to discard about 90% of what you see there, and hope the 10% that filters through actually addresses what you were looking for. And even that 10% you need to occasionally give the stink eye, just to keep it honest.

As for the adapters, as we always say, well, those of us who actually have at least a small amount of common sense, if the power supply was MEANT to support a given load and load TYPE, it would COME with the required connections to make that happen, by design. The fact that a power supply lacks them either means it's too old (In which case it isn't suitable anyhow, because we don't use old power supplies with expensive hardware) or it was never meant by the manufacturer to be used for that kind of scenario. That IS the bottom line.

You know why the Prius doesn't come with four wheel drive or off road tires? Because it wasn't meant to be used like that. Same here.

what? I though that was a normal thing, I saw a bunch of youtube videos recommending it, I'm glad I didn't find the adapter today.
The reason molex adapters are around is partly due to manufactures including them with GPUs for a while. People would buy a GPU they couldnt run and would get upset, by including a molex adapter they could get away with less complaints. However, they are not a good idea.

The absolute only adapter I would consider is dual 6 pin to 8 pin, since each 6 pin is designed to run at 75w, and the 8 pin at 125w.
That being said, the power supply itself has to be quality enough to run this, which yours is not.

Reactions: Krotow
Feb 5, 2021

Was this The Verge PC build video or something related? That would explain it.

Remember kids, make sure your PSU's are on those little "insulating pads" so the PSU doesn't short circuit when it comes into contact with the case!

Was this The Verge PC build video or something related? That would explain it.

Remember kids, make sure your PSU's are on those little "insulating pads" so the PSU doesn't short circuit when it comes into contact with the case!
I'm not sure what any of this is supposed to mean, and can only say that I hope the entire post was snark of some kind. Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

cooler master rs-460-psap-I3
That is 324W (on 12V rail) PSU.
GTX 1660 requires 450W PSU minimum.

Cooler-Master-RS-460-PSAP-I3-J3-460W-Okazja-Producent-Cooler-Master

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
An 8pin standard is 150w, but each pin is rated for 5A or 60w, meaning an 8pin can draw as much as 180w before melting the connector.

Pcie x16 slot can (and in some cards, does) draw upto 90+ watts, but general rating is 75w.

You can pull 260w through an 8pin and pcie.

8pin and pcie generally means the card will pull/spike upto 225w.

That leaves @ 100w for the rest of your pc, including the cpu.

You will damage something. No ifs, ands or butts.