Cannot fix boot loop after changing OC settings

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

envijapan

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
Hey everyone.

I have a problem with a boot loop, preventing me from entering BIOS.
This has occurred after lowering my Vcore from 4.5GHz@1.35 to 4.5GHz@1.34. After applying the change, my computer restarted and I brought up a menu telling me to return to defaults, however because I was spamming delete at the time to enter BIOS, it erased the page and started this boot loop.
I've read multiple threads and tried all the CMOS reset options, however I'm still stuck in the loop.

Could it be possible that this has fried my motherboard or something?

CPU: i5-2500k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Solution
Have you pulled the CMOS battery and returned it, then tried again? Maybe try removing the CMOS battery, unplugging the PSU from the wall, pressing the power button for about thirty seconds, then return everything and try again.

If that doesn't work then there has likely somehow been damage to the motherboard or cpu, although just dropping the voltage .01 shouldn't ever cause trouble on any system.

Benevolence

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
I would say the possibility of frying the CPU and RAM is minimal. Please do a little research to make sure you have the correct pinout for that bios rom chip, you can easily damage the ROM by performing this procedure incorrectly. Also this will not 100% fix the problem but may buy you some time until you can find a replacement. I sincerely wish you the best with this project.

Benevolence

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Actually before you try this (last resort "YOLO"), remove the CMOS battery and leave the board to drain overnight (or during the day, since you are in Japan). If still no dice, then as you said, YOLO!
Don't drink too much coffee when you do this, a shaky hand is why I am currently 2/3 on this procedure.

envijapan

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
@darkbreeze

Yep I've literally disconnected everything I possibly can, USB hubs, GPU, 1/2 pieces of RAM.

I'll leave the battery out overnight, otherwise I'm off to the electronics store tomorrow for a new MBO and CPU ><

I might try removing and reseating the CPU before completely giving up. I HAVE seen systems act stupid and then begin to work normally again after removing and reinstalling the CPU. I'd also double and triple check that the 8 and 24 pin motherboard connections are COMPLETELY seated. Sometimes they can seem to be but be off just a hair and cause an issue. I'd also maybe try benching the unit first, like this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1753671/bench-troubleshooting.html

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

I totally agree. Doing a build outside the case on anti-static plastic/bags (cardboard works in a pinch as mentioned above) and reseating the CPU...well i would reseat EVERYTHING one last time to be certain, wires, add-in cards you name it...best last bet to ensure you have no grounds or loose anything. Like the man said i have done the same and stuff has started to work again fine. Besides if it doesn't work, the parts are out of your case ready for a new build ;) i usually do a build outside my case the same way on a new build to make sure everything is working before going through the trouble of putting everything in only to find out you got a bad motherboard or whatever. Good luck!

place it on a non-conductive surface, preferably on the cardboard, wood, newspaper, etc.

Personally, I like to work on a laminate countertop bench I have specifically for this reason, which has a section covered with the antistatic foam most motherboards ship with. That helps keep the bottom of the board safe and prevents it from sliding around as well.