[SOLVED] Cannot remove backplate on the back of my motherboard

Dec 20, 2021
I have a Asrock b365m motherboard and when i tried to replace my cpu fan there is this back plate that i do not know how to remove .

Trying to install a hyper evo 212 cooler

Solution
it appears the backplate is just sitting on those hexagon stands.
if the front block/fins and any thumbscrews are totally removed try just prying the back off gently with a flathead screwdriver
prying probably won't work (may even wind up seriously damaging the mobo, the hexagonal heads probably have bolts which run through spacers on the other side.
you probably have to loosen the spacers (see if they rotated counter-clockwise)

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021
prying probably won't work (may even wind up seriously damaging the m,obo, the hexagonal heads probably have bolts which run through spacers on the other side.
prying probably won't work (may even wind up seriously damaging the m,obo, the hexagonal heads probably have bolts which run through spacers on the other side.
I tried unscrewing it with probably the wrong screwdriver head so i will try using a different tool maybe to do it. The 4 screws are hollow screws so i dont know what i should use for them (Look kinda like this View: https://imgur.com/JTS8WRn
)

I tried unscrewing it with probably the wrong screwdriver head so i will try using a different tool maybe to do it. The 4 screws are hollow screws so i dont know what i should use for them (Look kinda like this View: https://imgur.com/JTS8WRn
)
Post pictures of front side of board if you can.

the back plate might be bonded on with double sided thermal tape. Try working a length of dental floss under the plate and pull it around cutting through the tape. The only problem is getting past the hex standoffs...don't know if they go through the board though so front side picture helps.

Another trick is heating it up with a blow dryer. The heat softens the tape and weakens it's bond, making it easier to peel it off with the dental floss under one corner to pull up on.

I agree...don't pry with a screwdriver. That could easily damage the board

when i tried to replace my cpu fan there is this back plate...
Trying to install a hyper evo 212 cooler
you are not just replacing the CPU fan, you are replacing the entire heatsink.

and when i mention gently prying off the backplate with a flathead screwdriver;
this is after you have removed the entire heatsink and all standoffs, bolts, screws, thumbscrews, etc
and all that is still remaining attached is the plastic backplate.

this would not damage anything on the board because all you would be doing is lifting off the backplate that is no longer fastened in place.
any double sided adhesive would easily be torn through with the flathead, much easier than trying to pull dental floss through it.