[SOLVED] Cannot remove older disk's recovery and EFI partitions

princedragonis

Honorable
Apr 4, 2015
spearblade.com
Hi, I have cloned my Windows to second disk, meaning my first disk's C: drive and the three related partitions are not in use anymore. I formatted the C drive. But I cannot delete the other three partitions. Also, the formatted C: drive shows up correctly as unallocated space, but cannot be used (i.e., I cannot create a new simple volume from this space, or use this space to expand another drive). Have attached a screenshot of my partition manager.

I tried diskpart by selecting disk > selecting partition > doing delete partition override. But this returns an error for all three of these partitions:

Virtual Disk Service error:
The operation is not supported by the object.
The specified command or parameters are not supported on this system.

(second screenshot)

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Solution
system partitions can not be edited through Disk Manager in the OS.

you can attempt to configure through command prompts but it may be much easier to do this with a 3rd party disk management software.
this way you can configure the disk with an easy to use GUI instead of relying on txt commands.

i believe AOMEI has some freeware that may accomplish this.
their manager software works good but i've never used their free versions.
system partitions can not be edited through Disk Manager in the OS.

you can attempt to configure through command prompts but it may be much easier to do this with a 3rd party disk management software.
this way you can configure the disk with an easy to use GUI instead of relying on txt commands.

i believe AOMEI has some freeware that may accomplish this.
their manager software works good but i've never used their free versions.

Solution
I tried diskpart by selecting disk > selecting partition > doing delete partition override. But this returns an error for all three of these partitions:
Disk 0 is dynamic. Why did you convert it to dynamic?
  1. Copy data from D: and E: to some other drive.
  2. Clean Disk 0
  3. Convert it to basic
  4. Recreate partitions D: and E:
  5. Copy data back from the other drive to D: and E:
Avoid moving, merging, conversion of partitions with 3rd party tools or have a backup before doing it. Such operations have significant probability for data loss.

princedragonis

Honorable
Apr 4, 2015
spearblade.com
After the clone operation, did you physically disconnect the old drive and let the system boot up from only the new?

No, I did not do this.
Disk 0 is dynamic. Why did you convert it to dynamic?
  1. Copy data from D: and E: to some other drive.
  2. Clean Disk 0
  3. Convert it to basic
  4. Recreate partitions D: and E:
  5. Copy data back from the other drive to D: and E:
Avoid moving, merging, conversion of partitions with 3rd party tools or have a backup before doing it. Such operations have significant probability for data loss.

I accidentally converted the drives to dynamic when I was trying to delete the HDD's C: drive and it prompted me that it has to be converted first.

I will move my data to an external hard disk and wipe the older one completely.