Question Can't boot Windows 10 in UEFI mode ?

Buljic

Prominent
Aug 31, 2021
Hi everyone, hope u have a great day.
Here is the thing...

Right now I have Windows 10 PRO 21H1 (b1903) with MBR+Legacy boot.
System specs:

Asus Rog Strix B350-F
R5 1600X
XFX RX 570 4GB
16GB Corsair RAM on 2666MHz
Corsair Bronze 650W PSU

Since Windows 11 is coming I wanted to reinstall windows 10 in uefi+secure boot with ftpm enabled. But simply, I can not.
I've made bootable w10 media (Kingston 2.0 USB) and tried to boot from it. Partition 1 was USB:NTFS bootloader in my case, so I booted from there. It starts to boot, shows the Republic of Gamers logo, stays on it for a few seconds, and then reboots.
I have disabled Fast Boot, CSM, and secure boot. Boot mode is set to Windows UEFI but with all that it just reboots...

I was wondering, can my MBR Samsung Evo 850 prevent USB media from booting? Also, can DRAM voltage affect boot somehow? It's set on 1.2V

I have already installed windows 10 with gpt+uefi boot on some hp notebooks and it was quite easy to do, disable secure boot, delete platform key, reboot, and boot from USB, but this thing with my pc is starting to drive me crazy

Last edited:
Hi everyone, hope u have a great day.
Here is the thing...

Right now I have Windows 10 PRO 21H1 (b1903) with MBR+Legacy boot.
System specs:

Asus Rog Strix B350-F
R5 1600X
XFX RX 570 4GB
16GB Corsair RAM on 2666MHz
Corsair Bronze 650W PSU

Since Windows 11 is coming I wanted to reinstall windows 10 in uefi+secure boot with ftpm enabled. But simply, I can not.
I've made bootable w10 media (Kingston 2.0 USB) and tried to boot from it. Partition 1 was USB:NTFS bootloader in my case, so I booted from there. It starts to boot, shows the Republic of Gamers logo, stays on it for a few seconds, and then reboots.
I have disabled Fast Boot, CSM, and secure boot. Boot mode is set to Windows UEFI but with all that it just reboots...

I was wondering, can my MBR Samsung Evo 850 prevent USB media from booting ? Also can DRAM voltage affect boot somehow ?, it's set on 1.2V

I have already installed windows 10 with gpt+uefi boot on some hp notebooks and it was quite easy to do, disable secure boot, delete platform key, reboot, and boot from USB, but this thing with my pc is starting to drive me crazy
When you're about to rufus the iso, is it set to GPT partition scheme and UEFI (non csm) for the usb drive for bootable? also try to update the bios and load default settings/reset and set CSM off (also fast boot). Then try to boot again. Usually i use rufus to make bootable with my win 10 iso (win 11 worked as well) and sucessfully boot to Uefi+gpt on my B75M HD3 motherboard. Try to re download the windows 10 .iso and make a bootable drive again with rufus (try to use chrome if you didn't).

Also try to update the bios to the latest if you didnt yet.

Reactions: Buljic

Buljic

Prominent
Aug 31, 2021
Yes, I used Rufus to make a bootable flash with GPT UEFI (NON-CSM) option. Honestly, I am a bit scared to update bios, but it seems like there is nothing else to do.
I've already loaded default settings for UEFI but that didn't help.

EDIT
I am using brave, how browser can affect on this? :)

Buljic

Prominent
Aug 31, 2021
try installing it with secure boot off and you can enable it once win 10 is installed

it might be reason it won't boot USB

I already did, you are not reading what I wrote :D
So, somebody told me that I can't boot UEFI installation with MBR schemed disk (Samsung Evo 850).
I will get an old hard disk drive, format it as gpt, and try to boot from USB again... I don't think it's gonna work, cause even MBR schemed disk should allow me to enter the installation setup

Colif

Win 11 Master
Reactions: Buljic

Buljic

Prominent
Aug 31, 2021
Already know about MBR2GPT, but I am not sure why I can not proceed to the installation screen on my pc. In short, I can not boot in UEFI mode.
If I convert my primary disk to gpt, I am not sure will I be able to boot from it, when I can't from usb drive.

Colif

Win 11 Master
lets try to boot it from inside windows then

put installer into PC with windows running

1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose Use a device
  5. choose the USB from the list, PC should restart and boot from USB
  6. install windows

Buljic

Prominent
Aug 31, 2021
that is right but it shouldn't stop you installing off a USB.
that just stops windows booting off the ssd as it is.
the format of the destination drive has no influence on the installer.

This is what I am talking about... It should let me install the menu.
Instead, it shows the Asus Rog logo, stays like that for a few seconds, and reboot

Buljic

Prominent
Aug 31, 2021
I did, in fact, I am trying right now with sony... I have tried to change USB ports, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1...
I'm creating bootable flash in fat32. How should I set bios options to boot in uefi.

Fastboot -> Disabled
CMS -> Disabled
Secure boot ?
Boot mode - Other OS/ Windows UEFI ??

Colif

Win 11 Master
So this is the problem after all, my disk right now is MBR, guy from thread up says it should be installed on GPT disk
the format of your ssd right now, being MBR, has no effect at all on the ability of PC to boot off a USB. the reason I showed link was to point out what you should click in Boot Priority to boot USB.

where did you get ISO from? did you make it using the Media Creation tool?

You should have used Media creation tool to make USB as that Installer supports both UEFI and CSM boot so it should have worked.