Cant change brightness in Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Focke Svain

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
I downloaded new Windows 10 and maked new update + downloaded new AMD driver and now i cant add brightness. It happened after i tryed to launch AMD catalyst. Screen was black for 2 seconds and after that i could not add brightness

Solution
http://imgur.com/DEfJ4u5
^I had the same problem after updating my graphics drivers, for some reason this "PnP" thing in "Screens" went off and I just toggled it back on and then I could adjust the brightness again.
Hope the picture explains, because I'm bad at explaining in english.
Hello Focke Svain

It looks like the new AMD driver is incompatible with Windows 10, at least for now. Can you please uninstall the new driver and install the older one to check if that works?

If you have updated the driver, you can rollback to its previous version. You can learn how to do so from here.

Hope this helps. Cheers!!

Hansku

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
http://imgur.com/DEfJ4u5
^I had the same problem after updating my graphics drivers, for some reason this "PnP" thing in "Screens" went off and I just toggled it back on and then I could adjust the brightness again.
Hope the picture explains, because I'm bad at explaining in english.

Solution

Focke Svain

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015

It worked! THanks! If some one didt understand then type to search Device Manager- and there you go just eneble PNP thing

Lompfy

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015

I've created an account just to than you.

haleyt

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015

I also just created an account just to thank you!!

I do have one thing to add: When I clicked on 'monitors' in Device Manager, the PnP was already enabled. Which left me VERY confused. Then I realized that my initial download of my AMD graphics driver after installing Windows 10 was unsuccessful. SO, if someone else's PnP is already enabled and you can't adjust your brightness. Click on 'Display Adapters' in Device Manager. If there is yellow triangle with an exclamation point beside the AMD driver, you'll need to install the new driver (which can be done by right clicking, then choosing for windows to install/update). Once you're AMD driver is installed, it will disable the PnP. Once you enable the PnP, it will all be working smoothly again (or at least it should if you're having the same issue as me).

giantss

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
Rollback worked for me TY

bondfan123

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013

WOW, Thanks for the great answer! This has to be one of the weirdest glitches I seen yet on windows 10.... greatly appreciate your help!

Daniella25

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
For anyone struggling to understand these methods, I had the same problem and to solve it I did 2 things, however I'm not sure which one worked. either way, both of them are beneficial to your computer.

1. Update Graphics Card Drivers. (Most recommended)

2. Update Java.

tangible

Reputable
Sep 24, 2015

^^^^^^ yup same here... you saved a lot of people's eyes from being blinded after installing windows 10

This one worked for me. I use an Hp envy, 64x

STEPS:
1) You have to update the AMD driver on the device manager. Go to settings / control panel -> device manager -> display adapters -> AMD (right click on it and choose update driver) 2) Then, once AMD driver is updated, it will disable the PnP. 3) enable PnP

Pete__

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015
Worked for me also. Not sure when it not-enabled. Whoever found this, thank you very much!

Configuration - HP Pavilion dv7 laptop. AMD Radeon. Windows 10

Symptoms

• Monitor very dim, maybe 50%
    The function keys that typically adjust brightness no longer worked
    Normally, when I right-click on the battery icon, one of the options is "Adjust Brightness". That disappeared.
    In the power settings the ability to adjust brightness diappeared

Glenn_

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015
Hansku got me on the right track.
In my case it was also the "monitor driver". It was showing "monitor" whilst it should be "generic PnP monitor"

1. Open device management
2. "show hidden devices"
3. Uninstall every device under monitors, select "delete driver" when possible
4. Rescan for hardware changes
5. Windows should atomatically install "generic PnP monitor"

fixed.

Noirprncess

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
I don't know who any of you are...but thank you for this fix. I was so baffled by the inability to adjust the brightness which seemed to be permanently set to tan and bake.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Howard_3

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015

THANK YOU TECHZEASTA..worked perfectly!!

John_151

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015
Thanks for all involved in this FIX!! :D Been racking my brain over this issue for about a month now trying everything possible, and now someone found the most simplest fix going! Many thanks, huge thanks actually! well done sir! :D

Gina_2

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015

Hallelujah! Your solution worked on my Toshiba Satellite. It's been driving me nuts. Thank you so much!

Joakim_3

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015

Thank you! Device manager -> screens -> double click your screen (for me it said "genertic PnP screen)-> activate, for any other people looking for a solution and didn't understand the picture.

DylanusMagnus

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015

Thanks you so much!!! I thought i was going to go blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS