[SOLVED] Cant connect with ethernet (Unidentified network)

Aug 17, 2020
So I recently bought a gigabit LAN adapter because i have had some issues with the one on my motherboard, however when I try to connect to the internet I get unidentified network. When I run windows diagnostics i get problems fount: "Ethernet 4" doesn't have a valid IP configuration. The same adapter works fine when i use it on my laptop. I have tried restarting the adapter reinstalling the drivers setting the IPv4 manually, and other "fixes" I fount online with no success. How can I get it to work?

PC specs:
Windows 10 64 bit
i9 9900
16 gb ddr4
rtx 2070
the adapter is Delock gigabit lan adapter usb 3.0

Solution
Test another device with that same wired plug--if it does not negotiate the right ethernet speed, put in a maintenance request with your residence as this is their problem (probably a wiring issue).

borris618

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
  • does your router have DHCP enabled? if not enable it and then set your computer to automatic ipv4.
  • try reserving an IP in your router for your PC (make sure to get the right MAC address of ethernet 4)
  • make sure when setting a manual IP that it is in the same subnet. (eg. if the router is in 192.168.1.X you cant be in 192.168.0.X )
  • have you tried restarting the router?
  • Is the adapter USB? if so, plug it into a different port.
  • do all other devices work properly? (LAN & WIFI)

Aug 17, 2020
I
  • does your router have DHCP enabled? if not enable it and then set your computer to automatic ipv4.
  • try reserving an IP in your router for your PC (make sure to get the right MAC address of ethernet 4)
  • make sure when setting a manual IP that it is in the same subnet. (eg. if the router is in 192.168.1.X you cant be in 192.168.0.X )
  • have you tried restarting the router?
  • Is the adapter USB? if so, plug it into a different port.
  • do all other devices work properly? (LAN & WIFI)
I am connected to a network so i cant access the router and its settings. I have tried different usb port still doesn't work. Wifi and the motherboard LAN adapter work fine.

Aug 17, 2020
This:

"I am connected to a network so i cant access the router and its settings. "

Make and model router?

Who has full admin rights to the router?

Also run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt.

Ok so I have gotten it to work by setting the speed manually to 10mbps full duplex which as it seems its the exact problem I have had with my motherboard ethernet card. I cant see the router model and make since its attached to the ceiling and my isp has admin acess to it.

results from ipconfig:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-D3V5DN6
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : epfl.ch
world-connect.ch

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek USB GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-4C-68-1D-E1
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7475:6e2b:e69e:55a%9(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.5.90(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 218161228
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-25-9C-6F-93-B4-2E-99-A1-46-F3
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ralston18

Titan
The "ipconfig" results show that Ethernet adapter #4 is not seeing/detecting a router. Note the 169.254.5.90 IP address following AutoconfigurationIPv4 Address.

That 169.254.5.90 is an IP address that Windows self-assigns when the system cannot receive an IP address via the network. An assigned IP address would or should be provided by the network router via DHCP.

Router's are not typically found on the ceiling. The device you see is most likely a repeater for wireless connectivity. But if you do not see any wires running to it that could mean that your residence has built in network wiring or that that device is something else.

ISP's do not control Admin access to devices inside the host network's router IP address range. Nor do ISPs' control Admin access to the router for that matter.

(Barring a possible modem/router combo device provided by the ISP. However end user's can change, and should change, the device admin username and password for network security. If the device was reset then the admin user name and password reverted to default factory settings and the network is no longer secure.)

And I doubt that there would be an Ethernet cable running from your desktop to the ceiling.

Here is the connectivity that I would expect starting from DESKTOP-D3V5DN6 (Line diagram):

Desktop[USB port]==== Delock 1Gbps adapter ====[LAN port] <---- Ethernet cable ------>[LAN port] Router

Correct and edit my line diagram to show where the Desktop's Ethernet cable from the Delock adapter' LAN port is actually connected. Include all devices and connections that I may have missed. A network wall outlet or a switch for example.

Find the router and get the make and model of the router.

Then try another known working at speed Ethernet cable between Desktop and Router.

Go into Windows network configuration setting and ensure that all other network adapter's (wired and wireless) on the desktop computer are disabled.

Change the Realtek adapter's speed and duplex to Automatic. Let the devices negotiate the speed.

Knowing the router is important.

Aug 17, 2020
The "ipconfig" results show that Ethernet adapter #4 is not seeing/detecting a router. Note the 169.254.5.90 IP address following AutoconfigurationIPv4 Address.

That 169.254.5.90 is an IP address that Windows self-assigns when the system cannot receive an IP address via the network. An assigned IP address would or should be provided by the network router via DHCP.

Router's are not typically found on the ceiling. The device you see is most likely a repeater for wireless connectivity. But if you do not see any wires running to it that could mean that your residence has built in network wiring or that that device is something else.

ISP's do not control Admin access to devices inside the host network's router IP address range. Nor do ISPs' control Admin access to the router for that matter.

(Barring a possible modem/router combo device provided by the ISP. However end user's can change, and should change, the device admin username and password for network security. If the device was reset then the admin user name and password reverted to default factory settings and the network is no longer secure.)

And I doubt that there would be an Ethernet cable running from your desktop to the ceiling.

Here is the connectivity that I would expect starting from DESKTOP-D3V5DN6 (Line diagram):

Desktop[USB port]==== Delock 1Gbps adapter ====[LAN port] <---- Ethernet cable ------>[LAN port] Router

Correct and edit my line diagram to show where the Desktop's Ethernet cable from the Delock adapter' LAN port is actually connected. Include all devices and connections that I may have missed. A network wall outlet or a switch for example.

Find the router and get the make and model of the router.

Then try another known working at speed Ethernet cable between Desktop and Router.

Go into Windows network configuration setting and ensure that all other network adapter's (wired and wireless) on the desktop computer are disabled.

Change the Realtek adapter's speed and duplex to Automatic. Let the devices negotiate the speed.

Knowing the router is important.
I think my residence had built in wiring. I plug my ethernet cable directly into an outlet in a wall. The thing in the ceiling has a single wire going into it so yeah its probably for wifi.

I can't do any changes to the network. Its the same as if you connected to a public wifi in a mall. When I connect I get prompted to a website where I login with my username and pass but cant do any changes to the network. Is there a way to see the model of the router without finding it because I have no idea where it is or even of I can get to it. If I let speed and duplex on auto it sets to 100mbps and then it doesn't work if I set it manually to 10 it works. The built in network card on my motherboard sets it automatically to 10mpbs.