[SOLVED] Can't decide Ryzen or intel

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
After lot of waiting and a lot of hardship and gazillion questions ,here's my final moment ,i've got the money in hand

Due to market shortage and overpricing i have 3 options but im confused with two

i5 10400f with 16GB 2666Mhz RAM

Ryzen 5 3500X with 16GB 3200Mhz RAM

I read that the i5 10400f performs rather less when paired with a B460 motherboard due to 2666Mhz RAM limitation as compared to 3200Mhz RAM of an Z-series motherboard which i cannot afford

But R5 3500X is 6Core/6Threads where as 10400f is 6Core/12Threads

Not looking at future proof or better upgrade path down the line but at the current moment which would be better for gaming as i would pair them with GTX 1650 SUPER

Third option is R5 3600 which i have seen perform better with 3200Mhz RAM than a 10400f with a 2666Mhz RAM but this CPU i'll get only if the shop keeper does not overprice it when i go tomorrow to buy

So excluding 3600 ,which one 3500X or 10400f ?

Thanks

Solution
In my opinion R5 3500X and i5 10400F can't be compared (if we forget prices), because 10400F performance (in real life) will be significantly better in any scenario -simply because it is multi-threaded.
If you can get R5 3600 and price difference isn't big, then it might be slightly better performer than 10400F. Also keep in mind, that for the same money, you can probably get better board for AMD -which could make R5 3600 and i5 10400F equally priced (really depends on where you buy).

To resume: don't get 3500X.

PS: Difference between 2666MHz and 3200MHz RAM isn't that big as one would think by looking at MHz numbers -there's not 20% preformance difference!! Depending on RAM, it can happen both perform equal in real life.
Hey there,

They are so closely matched it's a really tough one. Both trade shots with only a few FPS separating them. One leading in one game, the other leading in other games.

The Intel I5 does have hyper threading which can bring performance up lifts in some games, and when games take more advantage of cores/threads the I5 would possibly yield better results than the purely 6 core Ryzen.

IMO, get which ever one is the cheapest combo, and go with that. Neither will be found wanting and are very well matched with the GPU. That said either will still drive a higher end GPU down the line.

The two processors are comparable.
Intel does not depend much on fast ram for performance. 2666 speed is fine.
ryzen, on the other hand does depend on ram and 3200 speed may not get you what the chip is capable of.
Few games can make effective use of more than 6 threads, so that is not a big issue.
If you play multiplayer games with many participants, then more threads is better.

I hope you have nailed down a 1650 super since graphics cards are now hard to come by.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
The two processors are comparable.
Intel does not depend much on fast ram for performance. 2666 speed is fine.
ryzen, on the other hand does depend on ram and 3200 speed may not get you what the chip is capable of.
Few games can make effective use of more than 6 threads, so that is not a big issue.
If you play multiplayer games with many participants, then more threads is better.

I hope you have nailed down a 1650 super since graphics cards are now hard to come by.
Thank you ,i usually play single player as i love a good story or for that matter any story but the only multplayer i play is COD since my best buddy is crazy (sshhh obsessed with it) and we play in a squad

Other than that the 1650 Super i already own on my current build being driven by a 2nd gen i5 at retirement age ,he needs rest now

then perhaps i should go for the cheapest combo with mobo and ram then ?

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
What motherboard will you pair either of the above CPU and ram combo's with? Do keep in mind to buy into a reliably built PSU for the entire build. You can't go wrong with the RyZen though is the system for gaming alone?
hey thanks ,the 10400f would go into a B460 motherboard nothing fancy and the ryzen would go into a B450M like a MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX or something similar since ryzen hold some overclock potential (if OC would yield profitable results ?)

My current build has a 450W 80+ PSU though nothing fancy and 1650 Super paired with a aged i5 2nd gen that's begging me to send him to the retirement home to rest

So what would you suggest ?

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Hey there,

They are so closely matched it's a really tough one. Both trade shots with only a few FPS separating them. One leading in one game, the other leading in other games.

The Intel I5 does have hyper threading which can bring performance up lifts in some games, and when games take more advantage of cores/threads the I5 would possibly yield better results than the purely 6 core Ryzen.

IMO, get which ever one is the cheapest combo, and go with that. Neither will be found wanting and are very well matched with the GPU. That said either will still drive a higher end GPU down the line.
Hey thanks ,i get that but would a overclocked ryzen yield more profitable results since the 10400f would go into a cheap MSI or Galax B460 Board

Where as i was thinking of putting the 3500X in to B450 board like MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX which would be a little costlier than a regular B460 but would allow OC

What would be your thoughts on that ,OC profitable in any way ?

First of all, most games are limited by the graphics card.
Try this simple test, even with your 2nd gen processor:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
You may find that you are not as cpu limited as you think.

Ryzen processors are binned so there is usually no significant overclocking room.

Increasingly, overclocking Intel does not do much better than allowing the turbo modes to ramp up.

If you are on a budget, you can buy a i3-10100, a lga1200 motherboard and a 16gb DDR4 kit for under $250.
Lest you think the cpu is all important, here is a review of the i3-10100 for games:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

Ryzen processors are binned so there is usually no significant overclocking room.

Increasingly, overclocking Intel does not do much better than allowing the turbo modes to ramp up.

If you are on a budget, you can buy a i3-10100, a lga1200 motherboard and a 16gb DDR4 kit for under $250.
Lest you think the cpu is all important, here is a review of the i3-10100 for games:
Thanks ,that explains a lot but the i5 2400 does drag a lot in many games with high stutters in cpu usage maxing out to 100 or 99% all the time but i3 10100 is a good option
I shall go over it ,thank you once again

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015

Thanks ,that explains a lot but the i5 2400 does drag a lot in many games with high stutters in cpu usage maxing out to 100 or 99% all the time but i3 10100 is a good option
I shall go over it ,thank you once again

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Not looking at future proof or better upgrade path down the line but at the current moment which would be better for gaming as i would pair them with GTX 1650 SUPER

While I think AMD B550/X570 platform is superior to the current Z490/Z590 Intel platform, my answer is directly responsive to the above constraint. Between R5 3500X and 10400f, stricktly in context of the above statement, I'd go Intel.

Third option is R5 3600

R5 3600 is the better option.

After lot of waiting and a lot of hardship and gazillion questions ,here's my final moment ,i've got the money in hand

Due to market shortage and overpricing i have 3 options but im confused with two

i5 10400f with 16GB 2666Mhz RAM

Ryzen 5 3500X with 16GB 3200Mhz RAM

I read that the i5 10400f performs rather less when paired with a B460 motherboard due to 2666Mhz RAM limitation as compared to 3200Mhz RAM of an Z-series motherboard which i cannot afford

But R5 3500X is 6Core/6Threads where as 10400f is 6Core/12Threads

Third option is R5 3600 which i have seen perform better with 3200Mhz RAM than a 10400f with a 2666Mhz RAM but this CPU i'll get only if the shop keeper does not overprice it when i go tomorrow to buy

So excluding 3600 ,which one 3500X or 10400f ?

Thanks
Both H510 and B560 boards run RAM at 3200MHz and above. You can find those boards for under $100 USD. Pair one up with a 10400F along with 3200MHz CL16 RAM and you're good to go.

In my opinion R5 3500X and i5 10400F can't be compared (if we forget prices), because 10400F performance (in real life) will be significantly better in any scenario -simply because it is multi-threaded.
If you can get R5 3600 and price difference isn't big, then it might be slightly better performer than 10400F. Also keep in mind, that for the same money, you can probably get better board for AMD -which could make R5 3600 and i5 10400F equally priced (really depends on where you buy).

PS: Difference between 2666MHz and 3200MHz RAM isn't that big as one would think by looking at MHz numbers -there's not 20% preformance difference!! Depending on RAM, it can happen both perform equal in real life.

Reactions: madmatt30
Solution

Absolutely agree, that's exactly what I would have posted - good advice (y)

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015

hey ,thanks but i got a little extra budget and got meself a R5 3600 woohooo :D

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Several months back, Gamers Nexus did a good comparison of assorted CPUs in question....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csFwlKgZCzM&t=681s

If pricing is even close, the 10400F seems tied with an 8700K, even to this day not a bad place to be, and roughly comparable with a R5-3600. (The R5-3600 path would leave a potential 5800X upgrade in the future as possible, however...)
thank you and i agree and went ahead with the R5 3600