Question can't delete a folder

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi all, I'm logged into my PC with my own account that has admin rights. I have this folder on my desktop called windows.old. I'm trying to delete it but its saying I don't have access to delete it and I need permission from [my own account that i'm logged in as] to delete this folder. how do I delete it?

VASIC

Prominent
Aug 17, 2022
If you tried Disk Cleanup and it didn't work, try this:

Step 1: Open elevated Command Prompt. To do so, type CMD in taskbar search box or Start search box and then simultaneously press Ctrl+Shift+Enter keys to open Command Prompt as administrator. Click Yes button when you see the UAC dialog.

Step 2: In the Command Prompt, paste the following command and then press Enter key to delete Windows.old folder.
RD /S /Q %SystemDrive%\windows.old

Or to take ownership of a folder if that won't work.

In the elevated command prompt, type the command you want below, press Enter.
NOTE: Substitute full path of folder or drive with the full path of the folder or drive letter that you want to take ownership of within quotes.

(To grant currently logged on user ownership of)
takeown /F "full path of folder or drive" /R /D Y

(To grant administrators group ownership of)
takeown /F "full path of folder or drive" /A /R /D Y

And, if this didn't help you, this must work:
boot from a usb stick containing a linux distro and use its file manager to delete it.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi all, I'm logged into my PC with my own account that has admin rights. I have this folder on my desktop called windows.old. I'm trying to delete it but its saying I don't have access to delete it and I need permission from [my own account that i'm logged in as] to delete this folder. how do I delete it?
How did this end up on your desktop?
Is that the actual folder, or a shortcut to...