[SOLVED] cant do 1080p 240hz on 760gtx

Miltosss

Prominent
Sep 30, 2020
Hey, so my monitor is allienware 2521hf and with a previous newer card i could do 240hz just fine but now with the gtx 760 i can only go up to 144hz, i have the dp cable that i could do 240 on peviously so whats wrong?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
idk about yours but i can see the difference

I'm not a betting man, but I'd bet that if you were shown a game being played at various frame rates from, say, 144 on up, you wouldn't be able to accurately say what the frame rate was without seeing a counter, nor respond quickly enough to take advantage of such frame rates.

But maybe monitor marketing knows something that science doesn't.

Miltosss

Prominent
Sep 30, 2020
I'm not a betting man, but I'd bet that if you were shown a game being played at various frame rates from, say, 144 on up, you wouldn't be able to accurately say what the frame rate was without seeing a counter, nor respond quickly enough to take advantage of such frame rates.

But maybe monitor marketing knows something that science doesn't.
i cant tell the diference from 180fps and up

InvalidError

Titan
Also, don't go chasing the magical frame rates.

The human eye can't distinguish anything that fast.
While you may not be able to distinguish individual frames much beyond 60fps, you can still perceive the increased smoothness and responsiveness well beyond that. A while ago, Linus tested people's performance against frame rate cap in a couple of games and many people's performance improved by more than error margins at least up to 240Hz.

If your game engine, rendering pipeline and monitor have a total latency of four frames, going from 60Hz to 240Hz reduces input-to-display latency from 68ms to 17ms. Someone in peak mental and physical shape has a visual cue to physical response time of about 100ms. 50ms lower latency from input to output improves overall responsiveness including the human in the loop by 33%. If you are playing at that level of competitiveness, you will definitely feel it.

Reactions: helper800

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
While you may not be able to distinguish individual frames much beyond 60fps, you can still perceive the increased smoothness and responsiveness well beyond that. A while ago, Linus tested people's performance against frame rate cap in a couple of games and many people's performance improved by more than error margins at least up to 240Hz.

If your game engine, rendering pipeline and monitor have a total latency of four frames, going from 60Hz to 240Hz reduces input-to-display latency from 68ms to 17ms. Someone in peak mental and physical shape has a visual cue to physical response time of about 100ms. 50ms lower latency from input to output improves overall responsiveness including the human in the loop by 33%. If you are playing at that level of competitiveness, you will definitely feel it.
I remember someone posting a video about it, not sure if it was the Linus one, but I wasn't thrilled with the idea of slogging through a half hour of video for, what was it, four people they asked? Not sure if that's the same one you're referring to.

60 to 240 is one thing. Hell, even 60 to 90, yes, absolutely. But, 120 to 240, I doubt makes much of a dent at all. I'd want to see actual, careful research on this to where the ability to perceive and mentally react to something, slowed even further by the physical reaction, before I can accept that. If I'm not mistaken, the absolute fastest reaction from a human being was 12 or 13ms.

The human factor is still the weakest link, by far.

InvalidError

Titan
I remember someone posting a video about it, not sure if it was the Linus one, but I wasn't thrilled with the idea of slogging through a half hour of video for, what was it, four people they asked? Not sure if that's the same one you're referring to.
Here's the video I was thinking of at the timestamp where summary results start:
View: https://youtu.be/OX31kZbAXsA?t=1851

All five people had up to double the hit rate in the double-door sniper test at 240Hz vs 144Hz, quite massive for ambush reflex. The other tests weren't anywhere near as consistent due to player movement and more time spent correcting aim overshoots at high frame rates.

Hi Miltosss. I don't think the GTX 760 supports 1080p 240 Hz, even through DisplayPort. I base this opinion purely on my Google query: "gtx 760 240hz". There are way too many people stating this problem, and very few solutions. The only viable option is what rgd1101 last suggested. I'm sorry and wish that I had better news to report to you. For what it's worth, I hope that I'm wrong.

XL2546 No native 240 hz option
https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=3562