[SOLVED] Can't figure out how to get 144hz on my monitor.

May 22, 2020
I have a monitor, Acer GN246HL, which can reach 144hz according to the eBay listing. However, the HDMI port won't allow for 144hz so I will have to use a DVI cable instead but my PC only has a DVI in port, not a DVI out port. I don't really know what I'm supposed to do, I'm not particularly literate when it comes to more than basic tech and I've been told by one of my friends that a Displayport to DVI cable won't give me 144hz.

Solution
For HDMI to support 144hz it needs to be HDMI 1.4 or higher. If you have that, then just go HDMI. If you have a display port that will work too.
If it were me, I would return the monitor and get something that has something that works with your rig. I hate returning stuff, but having a 144hz monitor that i could only use at 60 would suck more :-(
No, 144 Hz capability is dependent on the monitor, you cannot tell by version number. Please see section 5 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-a-120-hz-display.3268285/

I have a monitor, Acer GN246HL, which can reach 144hz according to the eBay listing. However, the HDMI port won't allow for 144hz so I will have to use a DVI cable instead but my...

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
I have a monitor, Acer GN246HL, which can reach 144hz according to the eBay listing. However, the HDMI port won't allow for 144hz so I will have to use a DVI cable instead but my PC only has a DVI in port, not a DVI out port. I don't really know what I'm supposed to do, I'm not particularly literate when it comes to more than basic tech and I've been told by one of my friends that a Displayport to DVI cable won't give me 144hz.
What graphics card do you have? You need or HDMI or Displayport to get 144hz, after that it's just a matter of settings > System > Advanced Display Settings > Display Adapter Properties > Monitor > Screen refresh rate: 144hz.

Apr 16, 2020
For HDMI to support 144hz it needs to be HDMI 1.4 or higher. If you have that, then just go HDMI. If you have a display port that will work too.
If it were me, I would return the monitor and get something that has something that works with your rig. I hate returning stuff, but having a 144hz monitor that i could only use at 60 would suck more :-(

May 22, 2020
I can't return it sadly since I got it second hand from eBay.

The monitor doesn't have a Displayport, only HDMI and DVI and I can't find any info saying if the HDMI port is 1.4

No, 144 Hz capability is dependent on the monitor, you cannot tell by version number. Please see section 5 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-a-120-hz-display.3268285/

If your graphics card has a DVI port then use that. PCs don't have video input ports, they only have video output ports.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
There's a reason that this monitor, along with a BenQ, has a section in our sticky.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-a-120-hz-display.3268285/#20840967

Legitimate DP to dual-link DVI cables are expensive and unreliable.

Honestly, the best option is to simply re-sell it on eBay. The adapter costs more than the monitor.

Then, buy a monitor that is compatible with what you have. I know, it sucks, but that's realistically your option.

mirojasiu

Commendable
Dec 17, 2018
I dont think you going to get 144hz with hdmi, but i had the same problem that i wasnt able to get 144hz.
I managed to get 120hz though.
You should get Custom Resolution Utility
Recommended Tutorial:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfjVwuCYniQ

Download link: https://custom-resolution-utility.en.lo4d.com/windows

TRENDING THREADS