Aug 12, 2019
Hi everyone. I have done quite a bit of searching on this sight but I can't seem to find anything on my particular problem.
I was transferring About 500GB of files from an internal HDD to an external HDD. I left this to complete overnight. When I checked the next day, the computer was not powered on. That was weird. Tried to turn it on and nothing. Dead. I replaced the PSU and that seemed to solve the problem. The computer booted up just fine. The first thing that I did was check to see if my file transfer completed. It had but I noticed that my internal SSD was no longer visible in explorer.

Here's the weird thing. This particular SSD is the actual boot drive which has the OS on it and a few other files. After looking through the forum, I decided that I needed to go into Disk Management. The drive is not there either. Only the internal HDD and another internal, 1 TB SSD. It does NOT show up in the BIOS. The first thing in the boot order is Boot Manager, followed by the 1 TB SSD. The system will not boot if I change this. However- when I go into Device Manager/ Disk drives, I see the Kingston 240GB drive (the "missing" drive) and the SanDisk 1 TB drive. I do not see the internal HDD however. I tried to update the driver for this drive but it appears the best is already installed.

I have connected the "missing" drive to 3 different SATA ports and still can't see it. I can't understand that this drive is clearly in there or the PC would not boot up but it doesn't show up anywhere in the system. The major issue with this is that I do have some data (Adobe Lightroom catalogs) on this drive and I cannot get to them and neither can Adobe Lightroom ( am a pro photog). I have searched everywhere about this issue and cannot seem to find any answers for this particular problem. I hope someone can help with this.

Here are my system Specs:

ACPI c64 based PC
Windows 10
Internal SSD 240 GB (The one in question) sata 2.5
Internal SSD 1 TB sata 2.5
Internal HDD 500 GB
Multiple external drives.
32 MB RAM
AMD A10 processor, 10 computer cores 4c, 6G

Last edited:
Solution
Power off & disconnect the SSD in question. (Power or Sata cable)
Now power back on. Let us know If it still boots or not.

When you replaced the SSD, did you use only the new cables or did you re-use some of the old PSU's cables?

What's the make & model# of the problematic SSD?

popatim

Titan

When you replaced the SSD, did you use only the new cables or did you re-use some of the old PSU's cables?

Solution
Aug 12, 2019

It will not boot without the drive connected. I used new power cables but not the new sata cable. I could try switching to the power cable from the other SSD and see if that works.?

Aug 12, 2019
It will not boot without the drive connected. I used new power cables but not the new sata cable. I could try switching to the power cable from the other SSD and see if that works.?

Kingston SV300S37A240G ATA Device
I did switch the sata cable to a known working one and still nothing. It boots but still not showing.

Aug 12, 2019
Okay- Well I feel like an utter fool. Thank you rdg1101. Two things happened here. One is that I had the HDD and the 240 SSD confused and switched around in my head. The 240 is the C drive. I coonfused it with the HDD which is the D drie. The second thing is that apparently I failed to reconnect the power cable to the HDD.

I am an idiot but I don't think I would have made that realization without you pointing out what you saw in the screenshot. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!