[SOLVED] Can't get FX-8320 CPU to overclock at anything higher than 4.2GHz.

ANDstriker_309

Reputable
Jun 15, 2016
So I've decided to try pushing my old AMD FX-8320 to some slightly higher clocks. I figured since I'm getting a new CPU soon anyway, and this one is nearing the end of it's life I'd try squeezing some extra performance out of it... My goal was to get it to 4.4 GHz and leave it at that (mainly due to a subpar cooling solution), but after some testing, it seems the most I can get it to run stable at is 4.2 GHz. Anything higher and it's basically an instant BSOD. Now, do bear in mind this is among the first times I've attempted to OC a CPU, so I might be doing something wrong. In terms of voltages, on my first attempt at 4.4 (multiplier: 22) I followed a forum thread that suggested to set the CPU voltage to 1.39 (stock is ~1.33) whilst keeping the CPUNB voltage and frequency at auto. This didn't go so well... The system froze on the boot screen and I ended up having to do a CMOS reset to get it working again. I then tried doing 4.4 but with completely stock voltages, which got me to the Windows login screen, but it BSODed 10 seconds later. Tried lowering the frequency to 4.3 GHz (21.5), but to no avail. So right now I'm running the system @ 4.2 (21) with stock voltages and it seems pretty stable after multiple stress tests. Temps are acceptable, too. I've decided I'm not gonna play with the settings anymore until I try getting an answer on here.

Honestly, I'm perfectly fine having the CPU at this frequency, I wasn't expecting much to come from this anyways. But it would be nice to nudge it up to that 4.4 GHz mark. Any suggestions? Should I maybe lower the voltages instead of increasing them? Kind of a noob at this...

-----

Specs:
ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0 (Mobo);
AMD FX-8320 8C/8T (3.5 GHz Base) (CPU);
AMD RX570 8GB (GPU);
2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 8GB @ 1600 MHz (RAM);
Corsair CX550 (PSU);
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (SSD);
2x 1TB HDD

Cooling:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO w/ Arctic P12 Fan (CPU Cooler);
1x 120mm Case Fan

Last edited:
Solution
Hi, I used to have a very similar setup (FX 8320 on an M5A97 Mobo, don't think it was the EVO though).... I actually ran into problems keeping my FX 8320 running at rated stock boost clocks under heavy load.

The issue is a combination of the awful 970 chipset coupled with weak VRM components on most AM3+ boards. The CPU can be pushed a long way however the chipset / VRM hit a thermal limit and then throttle back the CPU. In my case I ended up undervolting the cpu (think it was stable at -0.2v) and added a couple of extra case fans which got the thing to hit and sustain it's full rated boost clocks without throttling.

If you want to push the cpu to a good overclock, you're going to need to either improve the VRM cooling on that board...
Hi, I used to have a very similar setup (FX 8320 on an M5A97 Mobo, don't think it was the EVO though).... I actually ran into problems keeping my FX 8320 running at rated stock boost clocks under heavy load.

The issue is a combination of the awful 970 chipset coupled with weak VRM components on most AM3+ boards. The CPU can be pushed a long way however the chipset / VRM hit a thermal limit and then throttle back the CPU. In my case I ended up undervolting the cpu (think it was stable at -0.2v) and added a couple of extra case fans which got the thing to hit and sustain it's full rated boost clocks without throttling.

If you want to push the cpu to a good overclock, you're going to need to either improve the VRM cooling on that board, or better still use a stronger board (something based on the 990FX chipset would be best).

Solution

ANDstriker_309

Reputable
Jun 15, 2016

If you want to push the cpu to a good overclock, you're going to need to either improve the VRM cooling on that board, or better still use a stronger board (something based on the 990FX chipset would be best).

I see. What sucks is that I actually used to have an M5A99X EVO R2.0 that I've heard is pretty decent for overclocking, but unfortunately it got fried a couple years back due to a faulty PSU... You think I should try undervolting it a little and see how it goes?

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
It's funny thought.Guy staying here is using my old FX4170 and on air i could clock it to 4.7ghz(i had a custom fan made for the case which runs on house power).It has a lot weaker board it's an asus78something can't remember lol.Only reaon i took the board because it has vrm heatsink..I got 4.7ghz at 1.425v.I did do some research before my attempt and 1.425 are safe according to amd.(amd didn't sort out there power even with the new ryzens.The 2400/3400g runs stock at 1.5v)

I see. What sucks is that I actually used to have an M5A99X EVO R2.0 that I've heard is pretty decent for overclocking, but unfortunately it got fried a couple years back due to a faulty PSU... You think I should try undervolting it a little and see how it goes?

Yeah if anything I would run stock and maybe under volt a bit. FX 8000 cpu's can still handle current games fairly well thanks to the 8 threads, That is a shame about the M5A99X, that was a much better board and probably would have handled the overclock no issue.

TRENDING THREADS