Can't get on the web

I have a Compaq laptop (R3120US) with a high speed wireless connection. XP
says I have an excellent signal and am logged on. When I start IE6, OE6
(for newsgroups), or Outlook2000 that all tell me they can't connect. Any
ideas?

PS I'm sure this has something to do with it (can't be a coincidence). I
just reformatted the HD & reinstalled XP & Office 2000. Haven't been able
to get on since. Outlook & IE6 are setup to use the LAN connection but they
can't find it even though XP says I am logged on (the desktop gets on fine
so I know the service is working fine). I also added SP2 immediatley after
the restore.
ALSO:
I will call Linksys (router mfg.) to check the router but I think I
eliminated that as the problem. I went over to the local coffee shop with
hotspot service, again XP said I was logged on with a strong signal but
again the programs (IE6, Outlook 2000, OE6) couldn't find it. Then I did
the ultimate, I also have dialup service with AT&T WorldNet. It wouldn't
even access over the hard line although XP again said that I was connected
via the dial up service. Whatever it is I would think it was part of XP,
but something that would effect all the programs. I am not experienced in
this but I would think that there would be a very limited number of thing
that could cause such a problem.

Bob

Check your system using WINIPCFG (start > run > winipcfg) or IPCONFIG (start
> run> command > ipconfig). I recall having this happen on a system I
reloaded, once upon a time long long ago. I believe the IP address or
subnet mask was set wrong or set to an IP address not within my ISPs range.

KC

"Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message

> [...]

>so I know the service is working fine). I also added SP2 immediatley after
>the restore.
>ALSO:
>I will call Linksys (router mfg.) to check the router but I think I
>eliminated that as the problem. I went over to the local coffee shop with
>hotspot service, again XP said I was logged on with a strong signal but
>again the programs (IE6, Outlook 2000, OE6) couldn't find it. Then I did
>the ultimate, I also have dialup service with AT&T WorldNet. It wouldn't
>even access over the hard line although XP again said that I was connected
>via the dial up service. Whatever it is I would think it was part of XP,
>but something that would effect all the programs. I am not experienced in
>this but I would think that there would be a very limited number of thing

I wasn't able to get online either after I installed SP2.
Pat