Question Can't install Windows 10 on any newly installed disks?

Apr 9, 2019
Here's a little summary of what I did:

Bought a Seagate Baracuda 1tb and a Samsung 860 Evo, because my PC's HDD (some 1tb Toshiba drive) is really slow and is almost out of space.
After installing both drives and booting a usb stick with a Windows installer, I got an error saying that it can't create a new partition when trying to install Windows 10 on both of my new drives, however, I didn't get that warning when I was trying to install it on my old HDD. I've been searching around the internet and trying everything I could find for at least 6 hours now and haven't found anything helpful. Is there any way to install Windows 10 on my SSD? I tried Ubuntu and it worked just fine.

Specs:
Mainboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX3
CPU: Amd fx-8300
GPU: Palit GTX 1050ti 4gb
new HDD: Seagate Baracuda
new SSD: Samsung 860 EVO

Also, sorry for my bad english.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Can you post a screenshot/image of the error message, along with the install location screen?

You might need to format in DISKPART, but that's not usually necessary.

I assume no partitions exist on the 'new' drives?

Why are you trying to install to both of your new drives??

Apr 9, 2019
Can you post a screenshot/image of the error message, along with the install location screen?

You might need to format in DISKPART, but that's not usually necessary.

I assume no partitions exist on the 'new' drives?

Why are you trying to install to both of your new drives??

I can't use my pc right now but the error looked like this: https://mk0intowindows84fvao.kinsta...t-create-a-new-partition-error-Windows-10.jpg

Btw, I already tried converting, formatting, etc... in diskpart but nothing worked.

And I'm not trying to install Windows on both of my new drives, I just wanted to see if only my new SSD had the problem. I want to install it just on my new SSD.

Your drive 0 looks like a 256 GB one, not a 1 TB one. It has an empty 76 GB partition on it though that you should be able to install Windows on. However it doesn't have a drive letter assigned to it. And your drive 1 only has 16 GB which is too small to install Windows on. I think you may not have installed the new drives with the proper cables to make them work. Try connecting the 1 TB drive to the old drive's cables, then boot the flash drive and tell it to format it. Re your SSD, is it really just 16 GB? Something's not right about that because I never saw one that small.

Apr 9, 2019
Your drive 0 looks like a 256 GB one, not a 1 TB one. It has an empty 76 GB partition on it though that you should be able to install Windows on. However it doesn't have a drive letter assigned to it. And your drive 1 only has 16 GB which is too small to install Windows on. I think you may not have installed the new drives with the proper cables to make them work. Try connecting the 1 TB drive to the old drive's cables, then boot the flash drive and tell it to format it. Re your SSD, is it really just 16 GB? Something's not right about that because I never saw one that small.
The picture I posted isn't from me. I posted it just so everyone would know the exact error.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If that looks the same as you see, it's because you have existing partitions.
Disconnect any drivers other than the one you want to install to (the SSD), then delete all partitions that exist on it until you're left with "Drive 0 Unallocated space" as the only option.

At that stage, you should be able to proceed & Windows will do the formatting/partitioning for you.

Apr 9, 2019
If that looks the same as you see, it's because you have existing partitions.
Disconnect any drivers other than the one you want to install to (the SSD), then delete all partitions that exist on it until you're left with "Drive 0 Unallocated space" as the only option.

At that stage, you should be able to proceed & Windows will do the formatting/partitioning for you.
I already tried that and nope, I still got the same error.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Blank disk can't create partitions... have you tried the drives in another PC?

did you make the partition active? here are a number of solutions to that problem, perhaps try these from solution 2 - Make your partition active - but will need to make parts in diskpart 1st if drive is blank

Seems to be a lot of people this week struggling to get win 10 onto PC. It isn't normally a hard thing to do.

Apr 9, 2019
Blank disk can't create partitions... have you tried the drives in another PC?

did you make the partition active? here are a number of solutions to that problem, perhaps try these from solution 2 - Make your partition active - but will need to make parts in diskpart 1st if drive is blank

Seems to be a lot of people this week struggling to get win 10 onto PC. It isn't normally a hard thing to do.
I tried everything from the article you linked and nothing fixed the problem.