Can't install Windows 10 on m.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hdffej

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
I have a brand new x370 build and have updated the BIOS. I tried to install Windows 10 from the DVD drive. It does not recognize my western digital 500 GB M.2. So, I can't install Windows.

Any way around this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
rog crosshair vi (hero or extreme)

Page 3-20 manual
Compatibility Support Mode - set to [DISABLED]

Secure Boot

1- The M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.

2 - Go into the BIOS, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.

3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, not Windows UEFI.

4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.

5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it, USB3 is quicker but USB2 works also. A Windows DVD won’t work unless you’ve created your own UEFI Bootable DVD.

6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.

7 - Windows 10 will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.

8 -...

Hdffej

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
When I was in the bios it recognized the drive yes. As soon as I started the Windows install that's where it said there was no drive and no drivers

A Windows DVD won’t work unless you’ve created your own UEFI Bootable DVD.

The background here is NVME SSDs do not appear within the BIOS until Windows creates the system partition with the EFI Boot Sector. Your M.2 SSD contains UEFI driver information within the firmware. By disabling the CSM module Windows will read and utilize the M.2-specific UEFI driver

rog crosshair vi (hero or extreme)

Page 3-20 manual
Compatibility Support Mode - set to [DISABLED]

Secure Boot

1- The M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.

2 - Go into the BIOS, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.

3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, not Windows UEFI.

4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.

5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it, USB3 is quicker but USB2 works also. A Windows DVD won’t work unless you’ve created your own UEFI Bootable DVD.

6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.

7 - Windows 10 will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.

8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that Windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.

9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to WIndows UEFI mode. (see #3 above)

10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys

11 - Press F10 to save and exit and Windows will finish the install. Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

* How to create a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup *

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Piton
Solution

Hdffej

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
Thanks for all the help folks. I took it to a friend's house last night and watched a bunch of YouTube vids. That last response is what we did. Works like a hot damn

BladePocok

Honorable
Aug 2, 2016

And after #11, should I just format my hdd if I'm doing this whole process to my fully new computer?

May 11, 2018

i have Gigabyte AX370 MOBO, and i contacted the Seller of my Pre-Build PC, they said if i want to install a Samsung 950 Pro NVme M.2 SSD 512GB, that i would need to install Windows 10 PRO. Now i do not know if it just Applies to the Samsung 950 PRO SSD or All NVme M.2 SSD's, May want to ask various people's and Reseach, this known Problem that many people have installing a NVme M.2 SSD on there Windows 10, for crying out Loud its Windows 10, Right why should it be difficult, its not Windows 7/8.1/ or XP...Good Luck.

USAFRet

Titan

"they said if i want to install a Samsung 950 Pro NVme M.2 SSD 512GB, that i would need to install Windows 10 PRO"

That is absolutely false. 100% incorrect.
Ask them for some specific documentation that states this.

May 11, 2018

May 11, 2018

thank you for your confirmation

May 11, 2018

Calvin7:
Thank You for Posting the information, regarding instruction, upon installation of an NVme M.2 Drive.Will serve many people good, and useful tips. You I am still wondering what was the problem, with trying to install his NVme M.2 Drive, you know that person you where having a steady conversation, on helping him how to install his NVme M.2 Drive? just curious to know what was causing him for not being able to Install his NVme M.2 Drive, till later he Claimed he had to take it to a friends house, and sat there watching tons of Youtube Videos, till they finally got it to install. Just wondering now what was the Problem? did he ever mention why he was unable to install the drive before taking it to a Freind.? Well if he didn't get back at you with the Details, THANK YOU again for the Post considering the Information on how to install an NVme M.2 Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.