[SOLVED] can't install windows after removing linux

MalakiArtook

Honorable
Mar 5, 2014
Hey guys i got a big question here!

So the issue is I have been trying to install windows on a lenovo YOGA 710 all morning to no avail!

I booted from Hirens on a usb, ran AOMIE, deleted the partition, converted it to GPT, and rebuilt the MBR.

I'm still getting the " A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB, or Hard disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert it now."

I have been trying to figure it out all morning so if anyone has some more than basic insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

If im forgetting any basic info just let me know.

Last edited:
Solution
That media error is actually referring to the USB you are using to install windows,. the installer doesn't have drivers to run it. Try using another USB drive

Win 10 should quite happily install itself on unallocated space otherwise

MalakiArtook

Honorable
Mar 5, 2014
Clean install
follow those directions exactly and you will have a new windows install that works

i have no idea what it is that you thought you were doing, none of it is correct.

GPT and MBR are two distinct partition types used for storage drives, you can have only one, so I was puzzled by what you thought you were doing

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...management/change-an-mbr-disk-into-a-gpt-disk

SMH, i understand how a windows install works. you have to rebuild the drive when removing linux and installing windows because linux unses a unreconized partition type. The issue is that linux destorys the windows boot manager. OK? so when installing from windows setup, there is not drive/ partition screen, only the above error msg.

Colif

Win 11 Master
That media error is actually referring to the USB you are using to install windows,. the installer doesn't have drivers to run it. Try using another USB drive

Solution

MalakiArtook

Honorable
Mar 5, 2014

yeah i figured it out earlier today. thx for the reply. i was having an issue with gpt partition prior, i couldnt get it to take at first and although i fixed it, it didnt register that there was just a transfer error on the windows 10 iso i had made :/