albert

Distinguished
May 27, 2002

I can't save files to any directries on Win XP after I installed the OS updates. The folders attributes is marked green on the read only attrib and when I clear it, it comes back and it doesn't let me save. Im login as administor, so thats not the problem. Please help.

Albert <Albert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I can't save files to any directries on Win XP after I installed the OS updates. The folders attributes is marked green on the read only attrib and when I clear it, it comes back and it doesn't let me save. Im login as administor, so thats not the problem. Please help.

The attribute is not the problem here. See "You Cannot View or Change
the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326549).

--
(tm)

That article seems to be for individual folders, not individual files. I
would hate to think that we would have to go through the command prompt for
every file. For example I made a folder, edited a picture in PSP, then saved
it in the folder I made. If I open PSP, open that picture, make a change, I
can't save it. The file says Read Only, the folder that I made says Read
Only. I don't get it, there must be something else. I have installed and
uninstalled SP2.

SmittyBC wrote:
> That article seems to be for individual folders, not individual files. I
> would hate to think that we would have to go through the command prompt
> for every file. For example I made a folder, edited a picture in PSP,
> then saved it in the folder I made. If I open PSP, open that picture,
> make a change, I can't save it. The file says Read Only, the folder that
> I made says Read Only.

Is there a file called "pspbrwse.jbf" in that folder you just created? If
so, delete that file and then try your open/edit/save operation again.

--

....Sky

================

Ask PSP why. Windows doesn't go around marking files as read only.

http://www.uscricket.com
"SmittyBC" <SmittyBC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3794EEC-4910-4D0A-AD10-9B539D37AF03@microsoft.com...
> That article seems to be for individual folders, not individual files. I
> would hate to think that we would have to go through the command prompt for
> every file. For example I made a folder, edited a picture in PSP, then saved
> it in the folder I made. If I open PSP, open that picture, make a change, I
> can't save it. The file says Read Only, the folder that I made says Read
> Only. I don't get it, there must be something else. I have installed and
> uninstalled SP2.
>
> "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:
>
>> Albert <Albert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I can't save files to any directries on Win XP after I installed the OS updates. The folders attributes is marked green on the read only attrib and when I clear it, it comes back and it doesn't let me save. Im login as administor, so thats not the problem. Please help.
>>
>> The attribute is not the problem here. See "You Cannot View or Change
>> the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders"
>> (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326549).
>>
>> --
>> (tm)

That was just an example.......

"David Candy" wrote:

> Ask PSP why. Windows doesn't go around marking files as read only.

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "SmittyBC" <SmittyBC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3794EEC-4910-4D0A-AD10-9B539D37AF03@microsoft.com...
> > That article seems to be for individual folders, not individual files. I
> > would hate to think that we would have to go through the command prompt for
> > every file. For example I made a folder, edited a picture in PSP, then saved
> > it in the folder I made. If I open PSP, open that picture, make a change, I
> > can't save it. The file says Read Only, the folder that I made says Read
> > Only. I don't get it, there must be something else. I have installed and
> > uninstalled SP2.

> >> The attribute is not the problem here. See "You Cannot View or Change
> >> the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders"
> >> (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326549).
> >>
> >> --
> >> (tm)

Then tell us the specific symptoms and the steps you take - exactly. Don't interpret it with what you think. Windows doesn't go around marking files as read only.

http://www.uscricket.com
"SmittyBC" <SmittyBC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DC5C21D1-667B-4042-BA91-4FE2B0088ECC@microsoft.com...
> That was just an example.......
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> Ask PSP why. Windows doesn't go around marking files as read only.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.uscricket.com
>> "SmittyBC" <SmittyBC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3794EEC-4910-4D0A-AD10-9B539D37AF03@microsoft.com...
>> > That article seems to be for individual folders, not individual files. I
>> > would hate to think that we would have to go through the command prompt for
>> > every file. For example I made a folder, edited a picture in PSP, then saved
>> > it in the folder I made. If I open PSP, open that picture, make a change, I
>> > can't save it. The file says Read Only, the folder that I made says Read
>> > Only. I don't get it, there must be something else. I have installed and
>> > uninstalled SP2.

Thanks, I'm not sure I'll have to check next time. It's fine now....again.
Haven't found anything specific that I'm doing everytime it happens, as well
as the "right-click" issue that so many others are having. It seems to affect
all files and folders. I run NIS 2004, Spysweeper, Spybot & Window Washer at
all times so I'm not too worried there. I'll look for that PSP file though
because I have been using that program a lot lately, thanks again.

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:45:03 -0800, SmittyBC wrote:

> Thanks, I'm not sure I'll have to check next time. It's fine now....again.
> Haven't found anything specific that I'm doing everytime it happens, as well
> as the "right-click" issue that so many others are having. It seems to affect
> all files and folders. I run NIS 2004, Spysweeper, Spybot & Window Washer at
> all times so I'm not too worried there. I'll look for that PSP file though
> because I have been using that program a lot lately, thanks again.

What version of PSP? Checked for PSP updates? I have a vague recollection
of some problems with saving files using PSP 6 and 7 that Jasc addressed in
subsequent updates available at their download sites.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User