Question Can't see other PC's on my network (NAS Set up)

dutche99

Honorable
Apr 4, 2014
Hello,

I am setting up a FreeNAS 11.2 server, which I will be using for a decent speed SMB multi-channel storage server. SMB isn't set up yet, and I am just trying to get the server connected to my main PC over one ethernet cable. I am able to access the web interface via the DHCP IP address that my router (DLINK) assigned to it, and I can ping the server with command prompt, however it won't show up in the Windows Network area, nor can I add it as a networked drive. I have been combing through sharing settings and reading articles for a while and I cant seem to figure this one out. I am not able to see any of my other windows machines either, which are all laptops on the same network, connected via wifi.

Main system specs
i7 2600k
24GB DDR3
GTX 980ti
Gigabyte z68 mobo (using the onboard gigabit RJ45 port)

Server specs
Dual Xeon 5430
32GB DDR2 RAM
Using port 1 of 2 Gigabit RJ45 ports built into the mobo.
Is also equipped with a 4 port gigabit NIC which will be used for SMB later on.

Network setup
Network into house -> Bell AC2000 router -> TPLink Network switch -> Server / Dlink AC1750 router -> Main PC

dutche99

Honorable
Apr 4, 2014
Is that DLink router acting as an access point (AP) or a router? If the NAS is on the TPLink switch and the PC is on the DLink but the DLink is acting like a router, then the NAS is treated like the "internet" and you won't see it.

I've been looking around and it seems that may be the issue. Is there a way to access the NAS and have it behave locally? Or do I need to run some more cable to have the NAS and my main PC driven off the DLink Router? The router is a DIR 859 by the way, so as consumer grade as they get as far as features go.