Question Can't switch to RTX 2060 in MSI laptop

Jul 8, 2021
Hey guys and gals!

I have a very specific problem and I'm going to try and explain it in a very brief way.

First of all, let me start with a sole fact that I have: MSI 15,6" FHD 144Hz - i7-10750H - 8Go - 512Go SSD - RTX 2060

The problem is that my monitor is only running at 144 Hz with medium/low fps when the Intel graphics card is running. The RTX doesn’t become the main card in game. So it’s a problem because I’m running at 100fps in game instead of 250fps if the RTX was running.
And I don't know how to change it so that the monitor is only connected to the dedicated graphics card.

Obviously, I already tried the tones of solutions for the same related topic:

• I uninstalled NVIDIA drivers completely, installed them again, nothing worked.
  • Go into the Nvidia control panel and change the main graphic card
  • Use High Performance mode in Windows
  • Disable the Intel chipset.

Let’s talk about that one.
When the Intel Graphic is disabled, it’s worse than before. The Nvidia graphic card doesn’t take the job and I have at least 1 or 2fps in game!

I also tried to change the primary card from the BIOS. But here’s the funny part : I don’t’ have this option even if I’m looking in the advanced settings of the BIOS.
Moreover, as a MSI user, I should have the new GSE of Click BIOS 5 from MSI. But I have an old BIOS interface from the 2000’.
(Some ideas on that one? Can I update my BIOS to the GSE version?)

I could also read on some posts that : The completed frame is then transferred to the Intel GPU, which then displays it on the screen. The Nvidia GPU has no way to directly display to the screen.

Some gaming laptops have a BIOS setting which allows the Nvidia GPU to directly drive the screen (at the cost of battery life). A few of them are also set up so the Nvidia GPU controls the external display, but the ones I've seen set up this way always seem to have displayport output. I only skimmed all the replies but it sounds like you have HDMI out? All the laptops I've seen with HDMI out have the Intel GPU control both the laptop screen and the external display.

Check your BIOS options to see if your laptop is one of the few which can switch GPUs. Otherwise you're out of luck. The laptop is probably physically wired to always have the Intel GPU drive both the screen and external display port.”

Honestly, is it really impossible to do it for an 1200€ gaming computer?
Am I stuck with this problem with a gaming laptop?

Thanks a lot for your help
Cheers!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to include the exact model for your laptop. If possible an SKU(not it's serial number) will help us two fold. As for your BIOS question, there should be an option for you to enable UEFI BIOS and not be in Legacy mode(although that shouldn't exist). On another note, can you take a look at the BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? If you're unsure of what you're seeing, go into your OS, install CPU-Z, then go to Mainboard's tab>BIOS section.

Can you include the version for your OS ? Ideally you should be on version 21H1.

Mind sharing the link to where you found the blue texted part in your post?

TRENDING THREADS