Question Can't Update BIOS on ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F

Dec 21, 2021
HALP! I can't update the BIOS on my new-ish mobo!

ASUS chat support wasn't able to help. They told me to use FlashBack, but that just blinks the light three times, then stays on. I let it sit there for 30 minutes thinking it was doing something, but apparently a solid light after the blinks means the installation got borked.

Taking a step back: the reason I thought to try to update it is because the network card on the board seems to be out of whack. I don't know if it's a hardware problem, but Windows won't allow me to turn Bluetooth or WiFi on, even though they show up in System Information (copy pasta from that at the bottom of this post). Any thoughts on that would be swell.

Here's what I've done so far trying to figure out the BIOS problem:
  1. Downloaded the most recent BIOS from Asus (Version 2423)
  2. Ran the renamer script that comes with it
  3. Moved the renamed .CAP file to a FAT32 USB drive
  4. Booted up BIOS and ran Flash 3. When I target that CAP file, it says "not a valid UEFI BIOS" (paraphrasing slightly because I don't remember the exact verbiage).
  5. Alternately, as I described above, I tried FlashBack, which didn't work
  6. Checked AMOURY CRATE (screenshots below), which lists my BIOS version as 1804 (which was released in Feb '21). But when I go to Tools > BIOS, it says there are no new BIOS available.
I'm concerned that between the network issues and this BIOS mystery, my mobo might be borked. Bought it back in July from Micro Center, so I think I'm outside of the retail warranty, but hopefully still within ASUS's.

Thanks for reading this far and for any help in advance! Love this community - first time posting but I've been gleaning tech support here for a couple years, ever since I started my PC building journey.

Code:
Name    [00000004] Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz   
Adapter Type    Not Available   
Product Type    Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz   
Installed    Yes   
PNP Device ID    Not Available   
Last Reset    12/21/2021 7:50 PM   
Index    4   
Service Name    Netwtw10.   
IP Address    Not Available   
IP Subnet    Not Available   
Default IP Gateway    Not Available   
DHCP Enabled    Yes   
DHCP Server    Not Available   
DHCP Lease Expires    Not Available   
DHCP Lease Obtained    Not Available   
MAC Address    Not Available   

Name    [00000005] Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)   
Adapter Type    Not Available   
Product Type    Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)   
Installed    Yes   
PNP Device ID    Not Available   
Last Reset    12/21/2021 7:50 PM   
Index    5   
Service Name    BthPan   
IP Address    Not Available   
IP Subnet    Not Available   
Default IP Gateway    Not Available   
DHCP Enabled    Yes   
DHCP Server    Not Available   
DHCP Lease Expires    Not Available   
DHCP Lease Obtained    Not Available   
MAC Address    Not Available

try using ASUS AI Suite III.
there is a built-in update application(EZ Update) that will allow you to choose your new BIOS file and it will handle the rest.

with many ASUS boards i've run into issue trying to update through BIOS via direct flash.
have never had the same issue allowing EZ Update to do it.
wouldn't be surprised if it's part of another gimmick to force users to download their software.

IDK it sounds like you're doing this the hard way: 1. download bios and unzip to anywhere, folder in boot drive OK, usb not necessary, renaming not necessary; 2. reboot and enter bios, use advanced mode; 3. go to Tool menu, Bios EZ update should be first item; 4. press enter and get file explorer, go to location of .cap file whatever it is named and wherever it is; 5. select .cap file, press enter and follow prompts. This seems to be the simplest method, at least to me.

1. download bios and unzip to anywhere, folder in boot drive OK, usb not necessary
with many of these ASUS boards a USB flash drive is necessary in this scenario.
when choosing to update via BIOS disk drives are not accessible, only USB flash.

when using EZ Update location does not matter.
Checked AMOURY CRATE (screenshots below), which lists my BIOS version as 1804 (which was released in Feb '21). But when I go to Tools > BIOS, it says there are no new BIOS available.
Armoury Crate has this problem with the majority of boards.
updates and tools available through direct download are always outdated compared to those available on official support site.

Dec 21, 2021
I figured this out with some help from someone on my friend's Discord. The problem was that I had the B-550F BIOS updates but my board is actually B-550F WIFI. I didn't realize that there was a version of the board without WiFi, so it didn't even cross my mind. So I grabbed the correct (w/ WIFI) BIOS update, tossed it on a flash drive, and it worked just like it should have.

Now for the Wifi & Bluetooth problem, I thought the BIOS update would solve it, but it did not. I actually had to shut down the computer, unplug it from the wall, and let it sit for a while with no juice. I don't know exactly what this does, but it worked. I booted the computer back up and now Windows (and Linux on a separate boot drive) recognize the Bluetooth and Wifi controllers.

Now for the Wifi & Bluetooth problem
i've had issue with the onboard Bluetooth on multiple ASUS boards now.
my Z370-E & my Z590-E both have lost Bluetooth functionality multiple times.

each time i've gone through uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, disabling/enabling in BIOS, and other options but it would never work.

with both boards i always end up plugging in a USB adapter and eventually after some time has passed i'll just get a random message that the onboard Bluetooth has been enabled again.

haven't experienced any issues with Wifi though.