cant use AGP4x with geforce2.. help?!

qda

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2001
Athlon 1600+
MSI K7T266 pro2 MB
256 mg DDR ram
Asus V7700 GeForce2 GTS 32meg

when i enable AGP 4X in the mb BIOS, the computer starts working fine. but, later on it just freezes (hangs), the mouse stops responding, and a tiny horizontal line appears on the screen (in a different place each time). Not even Ctrl-Alt-Del works.

When i put the AGP on 'auto' in BIOS (meaning it gets locked at agp 2X) it works fine. It doesnt hang for no reason like before.

any idea how i can enable 4X without problems, and why this problem is happening?
thanks in advance!

G

You didn't say what motherboard you are using.. but you can check your BIOS and see if you have "Manual AGP Comp. Driving" setting. If you have set it to DA or EA and set AGPMode to 4x. It worked for me.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Ummmmmmmm. That's what the "K7266" stands for.

Anyway, you might have to to the 'manual' thing. Doesn't sound right, though; Gf2 should pull up as 4x, default. Is that a combo mb (via/amd) or strictly via? Or sis?

The 4n1 drivers get *REALLY* whacky (read:fukked) at the 4.36 and 4.37 levels. If you have any way around those (4.35/4.38+), try that instead.

Other than that:

Check for a bios update?
Beat Nvidia with a bat?
Beat Msi with a bat?
Beat Msft with a bat? (preventative maintenance)

digital_trucker

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Best bet, set AGP mode to auto.
Update 4in1 drivers
update Detonator drivers to 23.11

Should be OK, mine works fine. Unless you have defective hardware of course, it's not unheard of.

Santa must be a trucker.

Dorr, MI