Capture Card help?

hyndron

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but if not then I will move it to the appropriate forum.

I recently bought an Avermedia C985 Live Gamer HD capture card (got it yesterday, actually) and I'm relatively new on how to set it up and get it going with my Playstation 3. I have the card installed, installed drivers and installed the software for it so it's working just fine. However, I connect my PS3 via HDMI to the Video In port, and I try to capture the PS3 but it shows up as a black screen, and I have adjusted the settings on the PS3 to work with HDMi and everything. If I connect my main monitor through HDMI to the Video Out port, I have perfect video but no sound.

The next problem is sound. I cannot get the sound working through speakers or through a headset, and I've read several guides on how to get it working through a USB headset (Logitech G930) and still nothing.

I have also tried recording, just to see if it would show anything and I would get a notice saying that the recording failed and that the content is copyright protected.

My PC Specs:
Board: Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3
CPU: AMD FX 8350 4.0 GHz 8 Core CPU
Memory: 16 GB GSkill
GPU: MSI Twin Frozr R9 280x OC

I'm relatively new with this, and I'm still trying any possible ideas to get it working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution

Yes they are. They're just basic USB powered speakers with the 3.5mm cable, and it's connected in the audio out on the capture card. I appreciate your help!

Zephyrium

Reputable
May 17, 2014
Try putting your settings down to 720p and report back, PS3 has HDCP that encrypts content that trys to pass through at 1080p. To get around this you could by a splitter that strips HDCP otherwise it will be blocked. Hope this helps.

hyndron

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

Thanks for replying. I have tried adjusting the resolution on the PS3 down to 720p and the capture card would automatically compensate for the lower resolution. I'm still getting a black screen, however. Would I have to buy an HDMI splitter? I'm not sure if that would fix the sound issue as well, though.

hyndron

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

There are four ports on the capture card itself, Video In/Out and Audio In/Out. The audio ports are for 3.5mm connectors, and the cables included with the capture card are hdmi, a 3.5mm cable, and two DVI/HDMI connectors. I have no way of using the component cables for my PC.

Zephyrium

Reputable
May 17, 2014
Ok, hmmm, You've tried setting your audio output on the ps3 to the multi-output?
ok so i found this http://gamerzone.avermedia.com/support/faq, it's possible it might just be completely block your ps3 content and a splitter might help but i'm not sure.

hyndron

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

Yes, I have. Could you recommend any cable configurations for the capture card? I only have the audio out port going to a set of desktop speakers.

hyndron

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

I have the audio source on RECentral set to Audio In instead of HDMI, is that what you mean?

hyndron

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

Alright. The audio setup on the PS3 should be HDMI with multi channel on? That's what it's set to, and still no sound coming from the speakers.

hyndron

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

Yes they are. They're just basic USB powered speakers with the 3.5mm cable, and it's connected in the audio out on the capture card. I appreciate your help!

Solution