Question Case fan RPM not going to 100%

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
1 of the fans on my system that is controlled by the motherboard is not reaching to full speed , at least is not reporting that on bios or hwinfo . The fan is an Artic p12 pwm and the full speed should be 1800 rpm and is reporting like 1785rpm instead , I have set to full speed on bios .
At the beggining when I have set to full speed was even above the full rpm , on past few months it´s been close to full rpm but not exactly there, the bios have some bug reporting the values or my fan is with some issue already ?

Pc specs :
Case NOX Coolbay SX Blue
AOC monitor with 21" and freesync , 75hz
Gigabyte b450 gaming X
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Kingston HyperX FURY DDR4 (with RGB) at 3200mhz with XMP profile 1 enabled
MSI RX 6600XT 8gb
Bitfenix formula gold 550w
3 hdd´s from WD ,(1 wd green , 1wd black ,1 wd blue)
1 ssd (Kioxia 480gb)

1 of the fans on my system that is controlled by the motherboard is not reaching to full speed , at least is not reporting that on bios or hwinfo . The fan is an Artic p12 pwm and the full speed should be 1800 rpm and is reporting like 1785rpm instead , I have set to full speed on bios .
At the beggining when I have set to full speed was even above the full rpm , on past few months it´s been close to full rpm but not exactly there, the bios have some bug reporting the values or my fan is with some issue already ?

Pc specs :
Case NOX Coolbay SX Blue
AOC monitor with 21" and freesync , 75hz
Gigabyte b450 gaming X
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Kingston HyperX FURY DDR4 (with RGB) at 3200mhz with XMP profile 1 enabled
MSI RX 6600XT 8gb
Bitfenix formula gold 550w
3 hdd´s from WD ,(1 wd green , 1wd black ,1 wd blue)
1 ssd (Kioxia 480gb)

that is quite normal behavior for most fans from arctic i would consider the 1800rpm more a maximum not exactly what youd get 100 percent of time

i own 2 arctic fans that do the same at times.

mines are 1500rpm but do 1490 or or 1485

Reactions: Rui Neves

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
only time you should be concerned is when they are over spec like the fan is rated to 1800rpm but its 2100rpm ( had this happen with a crappy asus motherboard over volting my fans)
the fan was over the spec a few months ago , and curiously today it was again , I´ve cleaned the dust on my pc because was very dusty already idk if has something to do with that , reached to 1824rpm on max .

the fan was over the spec a few months ago , and curiously today it was again , I´ve cleaned the dust on my pc because was very dusty already idk if has something to do with that , reached to 1824rpm on max .
1824rpm should be fine its probly just going a bit faster due to voltage jumps since a pwm fan that happens. you can usually set a max target in your bios if its plugged into the pwm header on motherboard.

also when cleaning a pc case an air duster like below is suitable
( take the pc outside on a dry day and take side panels of and blast every fan and filter.

also what is your cpu cooler ?

the rpm will be tied to the sensors on the board if somethings getting hot the fan will ramp up to max speed depending if the pwm is set to reading the cpu or motherboard temp its normal when gaming though.
i recomend using this tool below as it gives you a full temp check on your pc.

best to have it open while gaming when stressing the computer

so open the program

then play your game like normal for like a hour or 2 then check the program and it will show you what the temps where like when you were gaming

e.g

it will say min temp and max temp the max will be how hot each component got when you were gaming.

also if your running the stock cooler for the ryzen 5 3600 personally id change it as it isnt good enough.

Last edited:

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
1824rpm should be fine its probly just going a bit faster due to voltage jumps since a pwm fan that happens. you can usually set a max target in your bios if its plugged into the pwm header on motherboard.

also when cleaning a pc case an air duster like below is suitable
( take the pc outside on a dry day and take side panels of and blast every fan and filter.

also what is your cpu cooler ?

the rpm will be tied to the sensors on the board if somethings getting hot the fan will ramp up to max speed depending if the pwm is set to reading the cpu or motherboard temp its normal when gaming though.
i recomend using this tool below as it gives you a full temp check on your pc.

best to have it open while gaming when stressing the computer

so open the program

then play your game like normal for like a hour or 2 then check the program and it will show you what the temps where like when you were gaming

e.g

it will say min temp and max temp the max will be how hot each component got when you were gaming.

also if your running the stock cooler for the ryzen 5 3600 personally id change it as it isnt good enough.
the fan is set to full speed on bios and using CPU temperature input , but I think it does not matter what temperature input is using since it´s set to full speed anyway. I think my motherboard only use pwm headers if I am not mistaken.

i have used one of these o clean the PC" https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005...t_main.11.5faacaa4Jd83QO&gatewayAdapt=glo2bra"

I use Hwinfo as monitoring tool , I prefer the HWinfo because in the past the hwmonitor had some false readings on some old AMD APU´s and the hwinfo not , so I´ve been using hwinfo since that time.

My CPU usually hits a max of 60ºc on more demading games , I am using a Vetroo V5 CPU cooler. I just cleaned my computer because was dusty but honestly it was not affecting the temperatures yet .

the fan is set to full speed on bios and using CPU temperature input , but I think it does not matter what temperature input is using since it´s set to full speed anyway. I think my motherboard only use pwm headers if I am not mistaken.

i have used one of these o clean the PC" https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005...t_main.11.5faacaa4Jd83QO&gatewayAdapt=glo2bra"

I use Hwinfo as monitoring tool , I prefer the HWinfo because in the past the hwmonitor had some false readings on some old AMD APU´s and the hwinfo not , so I´ve been using hwinfo since that time.

My CPU usually hits a max of 60ºc on more demading games , I am using a Vetroo V5 CPU cooler. I just cleaned my computer because was dusty but honestly it was not affecting the temperatures yet .

if its set to full speed it will always be at the fastest speed it can achieve not pwm mode which means it will only ramp up if it hits the temperature your aiming to only hit at max.

60c is a respectable temperature at max anyway i wouldnt worry about the fan speed being a bit lower or a tad high then stated on box.

Reactions: Rui Neves