Question Case Fans Showing as 0 rpm

Jan 3, 2022
Hello. I recently built a PC with an NZXT H510 Elite Case. It has 2 NZXT Aer Fans in the front of the case, which connect to an NZXT Smart Controller V2, which itself connects to an internal USB header on the motherboard. The fans run at a decent speed, but the CAM software shows them as being 0 rpm. Moreover, the speed of the fans does not appear to change no matter how I alter the settings within CAM. The RGB of the fans is still fully controllable, so I'm not sure where the problem lies. Any help would be appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What version of CAM are you working with? On second thoughts, please parse the specs to your system like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Can you also see what BIOS version you're on for your motherboard? I'd also try and pair the fans with the motherboard to see if the issue is with the hub, CAM or the fans. I'd also ask for a picture of how the fans are tethered to your build for the sake of relevance.

Reactions: PCbuilder22
Jan 3, 2022
Hello Lutfij! I really appreciate how quickly you replied to help me, but I actually figured out the solution this morning! It turns out the fans both had 4-pin cables but for some reason the manufacturer spliced them together using a 3-pin connector, which is where I assume the PWM signal was getting lost. Fortunately, the smart controller has multiple ports so I simply plugged the fans into the controller separately and now they are fully responsive.

Thanks again for your help!

May 18, 2022
What fans? GPU fans? Case fans? Cooler fans

Not registering in what software?
I believe its the exact same problem as PCbuilder22, with a H510 Elite case and supplemental NZXT Kraken X63 Liquid Cooler (2 fans) all of the fans are spinning and show up in the NZXT CAM program, but only the kraken fans register a rpm and can be programmed. The two fans provided with the case that sit near the front (AER RGB 2 140mm) do seem to be spinning, but they can not be programmed and show up in the program as 0 rpm. I don't know what other specs are relevant so lmk if you need me to list them off