ajth87

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Hey everyone,

I just upgraded my pc (I have an Asus CG5270) with a NVIDIA GTS250 and a Corsair 750W PSU..I now want to buy two case fans.. I was looking at the Antec SmartCool. Has anyone experienced these..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129033

That is the link to it. They look to be best for me as I dont game too often and the fact that it adjusts fan speed according to temperature is pretty ideal. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

ajth87

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Thanks for the replies! I got the new case fans in a few days ago.. One thing I notice is that the fans never change speed as they are supposed to. They are supposed to change depending on temperature. Well it seems as if they are always high. Any suggestions as to why this is happening?

ajth87

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Well it didn't come with any thermal sensors so I'm assuming they are built in?? But I am using one fan in the front on the bottom as an intake and the other in the back top as exhaust.. They are the antec 120mm smartcool if that helps.. Thanks for the reply.

Ok! You have the model with the built in sensors.

The first problem is your fans were designed to be used as exhaust fans. The fan you are using as an intake fan is measuring the ambient room temperature rather than the temperature inside the case. The speed will remain constant if the room temperature remains constant.

The fan you are using as an exhaust fan won't change much if your case has excellent ventilation, airflow, and cooling. Typically the fan will operate between 1100 and 1300 rpm. That's not much of a fluctuation and you may not notice it.

You may have an option. if you connected the fans to your motherboard, then there might be fan settings in the BIOS that you can adjust. In addition you can use a utility such as speedfan to control the fans. Speedfan uses the thermal sensors in your motherboard.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

ajth87

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Thanks!! I do have speedfan though I don't see where I can change the fan speeds. I see that there is an Aux1 and Aux2 fan listed but they both show 0RPM. any suggestions? thanks again for the replies!