catch-22 task manager

Every time I attempt to setup a task in task manager it asks me for a password.

Catch-22 to bypass the logon screen without having to select who logs on you
have to exist without a password [or that's how I understand control passwords2
option to work]

I'd rather not replace one annoyance with another annoyance. ie: Having to
select myself just to log on every time I reboot. I go for a walk or other
activity when rebooting. No reason I need to hold the machines hand while it
reconfigures booting.

Set it up just fine. But when it comes time to run it, 'you don't have access
to run this'

I also think something else is misconfigured now too. Windows L for fast switch
brings up Just me. Administrator doesn't seem to exist.
if I use the start menu and jump to user accounts only accounts showing is me
[computer admin] and guest [off]

I can login to admin [just need to use help to find out how again] at boot up.
But can't really do anything in that account. It won't even save mouse settings
from one minute to the next.

I don't really want to do a 2 week rollback or another OS reinstall. The
machines finally settled down and semi working the way I want it to. This task
manager thing is an annoyance. Not worthy of either a rollback or reinstall of
the OS.

I use Karen Kenworthy's countdown timer as a daily scheduler. But for some
reason the only task actually scheduled [dshield hourly reports] is coming up
with resetting itself back to like I just installed the thing, telling me I
don't have access, or no response at all. And only time I notice it is when I
DON'T get email from dshield every hour to ack my reports.

When was the last time you noticed something automatic was wrong because it
wasn't happening ?

It runs without a hitch and no notice other than the hourly email reports to
ack receipts.

And sometimes it'll throw up the access errors and still work.

Baffled..

If you want to logon without having to select the user, you can use TweakUI,
one of the PowerTools, to automatically logon. This works with or without a
password.

Why are you scheduling tasks via the task manager? As far as I know it's
not designed for that. Why not use task scheduler?

Regarding having an administrator/superuser/service account to run a
scheduled task, why not create one? I don't think that the account that the
scheduled task is to run has to be logged on at the time the task runs--it
uses "run as" I think. For more information about scheduled tasks:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/scheduled_tasks_password.htm

"Husky" wrote:

> Every time I attempt to setup a task in task manager it asks me for a password.
>
> Catch-22 to bypass the logon screen without having to select who logs on you
> have to exist without a password [or that's how I understand control passwords2
> option to work]
>
> I'd rather not replace one annoyance with another annoyance. ie: Having to
> select myself just to log on every time I reboot. I go for a walk or other
> activity when rebooting. No reason I need to hold the machines hand while it
> reconfigures booting.
>
> Set it up just fine. But when it comes time to run it, 'you don't have access
> to run this'
>
> I also think something else is misconfigured now too. Windows L for fast switch
> brings up Just me. Administrator doesn't seem to exist.
> if I use the start menu and jump to user accounts only accounts showing is me
> [computer admin] and guest [off]
>
> I can login to admin [just need to use help to find out how again] at boot up.
> But can't really do anything in that account. It won't even save mouse settings
> from one minute to the next.
>
> I don't really want to do a 2 week rollback or another OS reinstall. The
> machines finally settled down and semi working the way I want it to. This task
> manager thing is an annoyance. Not worthy of either a rollback or reinstall of
> the OS.
>
> I use Karen Kenworthy's countdown timer as a daily scheduler. But for some
> reason the only task actually scheduled [dshield hourly reports] is coming up
> with resetting itself back to like I just installed the thing, telling me I
> don't have access, or no response at all. And only time I notice it is when I
> DON'T get email from dshield every hour to ack my reports.
>
> When was the last time you noticed something automatic was wrong because it
> wasn't happening ?
>
> It runs without a hitch and no notice other than the hourly email reports to
> ack receipts.
>
> And sometimes it'll throw up the access errors and still work.
>
> Baffled..
>
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

To automatically log in, do the following:

1) Click Start, Run and enter CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2
2) In the list of users, highlight the user account you want automatically logged on.
3) Uncheck Users must enter a Username and password.................
4) Click Apply.
5) In the next dialog, enter the password for the account you selected in Step 2, if any
6) OK your way out.

It is normal for the Administrator account to become hidden, after another user account is created. You can use TweakUI for Windows XP, Logon section to make the Administrator account visible on the Welcome Screen, even though other accounts have been created.

TweakUI is available from

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp (SP1 and later systems)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/downloads/powertoys.asp (Pre SP1 systems)

I DO NOT recommend the following procedure, as it creates a security hole in your system, by allowing the use of blank passwords throughout the system, not just at logon.

Scheduled Tasks can be run without a password. Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\

Look in the right pane for the value "limitblankpassworduse". Double click this value and change it to 0 (zero). If it doesn't exist, right click in a blank are of the right pane, select New, DWord value and name it "limitblankpassworduse", without the quotes. Leave it at 0.
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message news:m1vph095tb8vvqdpo0ii6g1lkdq6gf72q1@4ax.com...
> Every time I attempt to setup a task in task manager it asks me for a password.
>
> Catch-22 to bypass the logon screen without having to select who logs on you
> have to exist without a password [or that's how I understand control passwords2
> option to work]
>
> I'd rather not replace one annoyance with another annoyance. ie: Having to
> select myself just to log on every time I reboot. I go for a walk or other
> activity when rebooting. No reason I need to hold the machines hand while it
> reconfigures booting.
>
> Set it up just fine. But when it comes time to run it, 'you don't have access
> to run this'
>
> I also think something else is misconfigured now too. Windows L for fast switch
> brings up Just me. Administrator doesn't seem to exist.
> if I use the start menu and jump to user accounts only accounts showing is me
> [computer admin] and guest [off]
>
> I can login to admin [just need to use help to find out how again] at boot up.
> But can't really do anything in that account. It won't even save mouse settings
> from one minute to the next.
>
> I don't really want to do a 2 week rollback or another OS reinstall. The
> machines finally settled down and semi working the way I want it to. This task
> manager thing is an annoyance. Not worthy of either a rollback or reinstall of
> the OS.
>
> I use Karen Kenworthy's countdown timer as a daily scheduler. But for some
> reason the only task actually scheduled [dshield hourly reports] is coming up
> with resetting itself back to like I just installed the thing, telling me I
> don't have access, or no response at all. And only time I notice it is when I
> DON'T get email from dshield every hour to ack my reports.
>
> When was the last time you noticed something automatic was wrong because it
> wasn't happening ?
>
> It runs without a hitch and no notice other than the hourly email reports to
> ack receipts.
>
> And sometimes it'll throw up the access errors and still work.
>
> Baffled..
>
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:31:02 -0700, "Kathea Banshou"
<KatheaBanshou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>If you want to logon without having to select the user, you can use TweakUI,
>one of the PowerTools, to automatically logon. This works with or without a
>password.
>
>Why are you scheduling tasks via the task manager? As far as I know it's
>not designed for that. Why not use task scheduler?
I'm thinking that I am using task scheduler. system tools->schedule tasks

>Regarding having an administrator/superuser/service account to run a
>scheduled task, why not create one? I don't think that the account that the
>scheduled task is to run has to be logged on at the time the task runs--it
>uses "run as" I think. For more information about scheduled tasks:
>http://www.theeldergeek.com/scheduled_tasks_password.htm
Well I haven't read it all just yet. And I'm still, getting the hang of
multiple user accounts one a one person machine. I'd dump them all in a second.
But I'm just wondering if It is possible, how a user not logged on to the
Internet would report Internet usage to dshield ?
It might run the dshield program, but only for a user not logged on. catch-22.

>"Husky" wrote:
>
>> Every time I attempt to setup a task in task manager it asks me for a password.
>>
>> Catch-22 to bypass the logon screen without having to select who logs on you
>> have to exist without a password [or that's how I understand control passwords2
>> option to work]
>>
>> I'd rather not replace one annoyance with another annoyance. ie: Having to
>> select myself just to log on every time I reboot. I go for a walk or other
>> activity when rebooting. No reason I need to hold the machines hand while it
>> reconfigures booting.
>>
>> Set it up just fine. But when it comes time to run it, 'you don't have access
>> to run this'
>>
>> I also think something else is misconfigured now too. Windows L for fast switch
>> brings up Just me. Administrator doesn't seem to exist.
>> if I use the start menu and jump to user accounts only accounts showing is me
>> [computer admin] and guest [off]
>>
>> I can login to admin [just need to use help to find out how again] at boot up.
>> But can't really do anything in that account. It won't even save mouse settings
>> from one minute to the next.
>>
>> I don't really want to do a 2 week rollback or another OS reinstall. The
>> machines finally settled down and semi working the way I want it to. This task
>> manager thing is an annoyance. Not worthy of either a rollback or reinstall of
>> the OS.
>>
>> I use Karen Kenworthy's countdown timer as a daily scheduler. But for some
>> reason the only task actually scheduled [dshield hourly reports] is coming up
>> with resetting itself back to like I just installed the thing, telling me I
>> don't have access, or no response at all. And only time I notice it is when I
>> DON'T get email from dshield every hour to ack my reports.
>>
>> When was the last time you noticed something automatic was wrong because it
>> wasn't happening ?
>>
>> It runs without a hitch and no notice other than the hourly email reports to
>> ack receipts.
>>
>> And sometimes it'll throw up the access errors and still work.
>>
>> Baffled..
>>
>> --
>> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 08:26:09 -0400, "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote:

already have tweakui. I'll know what's happened at next boot Tnx..

>I DO NOT recommend the following procedure, as it creates a security hole in your system, by allowing the use of blank passwords throughout the system, not just at logon.
If I'm using pccillin and adaware actively, is blank passwords on a 56k dial up
that big a problem ?

>Scheduled Tasks can be run without a password. Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\
>
>Look in the right pane for the value "limitblankpassworduse". Double click this value and change it to 0 (zero). If it doesn't exist, right click in a blank are of the right pane, select New, DWord value and name it "limitblankpassworduse", without the quotes. Leave it at 0.

one more tip goes into the XP hints log.