CD/DVD drives not showing up - Very Odd...going insane...(r)

Glenn

I see that this is a big issue, apparently. The odd thing for me is that they just went away one day. I didn't really do anything that I don't normally do. Windows update and standard application and hardware upgrades.

I have dual boot (both with XP Pro). The (cd and dvd) drives show up fine when I boot to the other (F:) drive. That means a registry issue and not hardware??? Should I just wipe my C: drive and start over or is there an easy fix? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to email me at the attached addres. Thanks

Do the drives show in device manager? If so, delete them.
You can even go so far as to delete the IDE ports. Then
reboot and plug and play will detect and reinstall.

Glenn wrote:
> I see that this is a big issue, apparently. The odd thing for me is
> that they just went away one day. I didn't really do anything that I
> don't normally do. Windows update and standard application and
> hardware upgrades.
>
> I have dual boot (both with XP Pro). The (cd and dvd) drives show up
> fine when I boot to the other (F:) drive. That means a registry
> issue and not hardware??? Should I just wipe my C: drive and start
> over or is there an easy fix? Any assistance would be greatly
> appreciated. Feel free to email me at the attached addres. Thanks

1) Log on with Administrative Privileges

2) Open the Registry Editor:
a) Go to Start then select Run.
b) Type regedit and click OK.

3) Backup you registry by:
a) Highlight My Computer by clicking on it once.
b) Click File (Windows XP) or Registry (Windows 2000), then Export
Registry File.
c) Select export range All; to ensure your entire registry is backed up
completely.
d) Select where you would like to save this backup, name the File, and
Click on the SAVE button.

4) Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values:
a) Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
b) Highlight this key by left clicking on it once.
c) On the right hand side delete the values Upperfilters and Lowerfilters.

5) Restart your computer.

Or try this:

http://www.dougknox.com/

Select 'Windows Utilities' and scroll down to 'Restore CD/DVD drives to
Windows Explorer.'
Perhaps his utility will do the trick. =)

--
<- Shenan ->