G

I own a Sony 8x CD Writer. For some reason every time i want to create a CD an error occurs saying the buffer is underrun. What can I do to prevent this? i don't run any other programs while the writer is working. I have an abit motherboard with a 700 Tbird.
thanks

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hey! There you are!
Did this start happening in the middle of notime? i.e. burning was fine up to a certain point? How much RAM do you have? Are your HDD/CDROM and CDRW on the same IDE channel? Are you copying disc-to-disc or HDD to disc when this happens? Have you tried closing ALL unrequired programs and processes after a fresh reboot, just before burning?
PS: It's better to post your messages in the public forums :)

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

It occurs more often than not. I can burn a CD once in a blue moon. It doesn't matter if I Burn from HDD or disc to disc. I have 128 mb of PC133 Corsair RAM. MY DVD ROm and CD R are on one IDE and my HDD is on the other. I never burn with other programs running, and yes I've tried to reboot. Nothing works. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

G

To put it in a few words, buffer underruns occur when your CD-RW drive writes faster than data can be fed to it.

IDE/ATAPI writers are vulnerable to buffer underruns, as a rule. Unless you want to invest in a BURN-proof IDE writer or a SCSI writer, you will have to make sure you run NOTHING ELSE on your computer when writing to a CD. Reduce the system load to a minimum.

Leo

G

Another thing to consider. Is your writer sharing an IDE channel in a master/slave configuration? If it is a slave to, for example, a hard drive, then you will run into problems trying to copy from master to slave. Why? Because only one of the master/slave pair can be active at any given moment, while the other must remain silent. As a result, you will have intermittent interruptions of data flow to your writer, resulting in a buffer underrun.

If you only can, place your writer at a separate IDE channel all by itself.

Leo