Question Changed GPU from 1060 to 3070 but performance haven't really improved. Huh?!

adar.winter

Reputable
Nov 25, 2018
EDIT: This is an edit that was made after the issue expressed below was solved, for all you TL; DR guys out there:
The problem was due to faulty CPU fan. It didn't cool the CPU enough which throttled the CPU speed. replacing the fan solved the issue.

ORIGINAL POST:

Hi guys.

Today I bought a new 3070 GPU and now my rig is:

CPU: i7 3.6ghz
GPU: geforce 3070 8gb vram
RAM: 32GB
PSU: 750W gold

Here is my full DXdiag:
https://pastebin.com/uUbGkF0H

I think I actually had better game performance with my previous 1060 than I do with my 3070!

I only play on 1080p
I aim for 60fps

In cyberpunk I was able to use scaled down resolution and get around 45 fps at 1080p with mixed settings. On the same settings, give or take, same resolution, no RTX and with DLSS I get around 30-45 fps with the 3070. No way that's good. Also, it seems like not matter my graphical settings, I get roughly the same performance.
My cpu usage during cyberpunk is about 85%-95%

On Uncharted I get around 30-35 fps. I am pretty sure I had over 40 fps with the 1060.
On spider-man I get good solid 60 with no RTX, but I want RTX with DLSS on. That's what I bought the card for. Yet I only get 30 fps in this game as well, even if I set the RTX to lower settings and use DLSS.

Something is very strange here.
I tried uninstalling my older GPU drivers and then DLing a specific driver from nvidia's website for my new GPU and not using the GeForce Experience, but that didn't work either.

I really need some help. I was expecting games to fly at 60fps at 1080 with DLSS on, no matter the settings, but this is far from what I'm seeing.

Thanks to anyone who can help me diagnose the issue.

Last edited:

ak195

Distinguished
This kind of issue once happened to me when I was getting low frame rates on new GPU while new GPU was much better than my previous one.
Issue was with drivers inside Windows and didn't fixed after re-installing.
So I re-installed windows and issue was fixed
In your case you can check the following too:
GPU is not under volt (or using any kind of echo mode)
Temps are not exceeding
There are no extra app running in background
Check disk-usage is not going 100% (mostly it is because of any malware)

adar.winter

Reputable
Nov 25, 2018
This kind of issue once happened to me when I was getting low frame rates on new GPU while new GPU was much better than my previous one.
Issue was with drivers inside Windows and didn't fixed after re-installing.
So I re-installed windows and issue was fixed
In your case you can check the following too:
GPU is not under volt (or using any kind of echo mode)
Temps are not exceeding
There are no extra app running in background
Check disk-usage is not going 100% (mostly it is because of any malware)

Thanks for the reply.

How do I check if my GPU is undervolt?
My card doesnt even reach 60 degree celsious when gaming. it's not close to being hot.
How do I check disk usage?

KyaraM

Admirable
Is your CPU not boosting? Btw, 85-95% CPU load, in my experience, means it's seriously hampering your GPU. It would be helpful to mention that according to the bin file, you got a 9700K installed. "3.6GHz CPU" is next to useless for us.

Can you run Userbenchmark and show us what it says, please? It can help identifying the problem.

Also, you can read out all of the stats asked here with HWInfo.

alankargwd

Reputable
Aug 30, 2018
I would recommend you to simply go for OS reinstall. Seems like the issue that you are facing is your OS is not detecting the graphics driver properly(drivers clutter or sometimes they do not get removed completely even after uninstalling. So installing the fresh windows usually fixes it.

You can try different methods that may or may not work but installing the windows will take care of it and you will not have to experiment here and there.
But if you still want to, then you can try to install and set up the display drivers again in device manager.

adar.winter

Reputable
Nov 25, 2018
Is your CPU not boosting? Btw, 85-95% CPU load, in my experience, means it's seriously hampering your GPU. It would be helpful to mention that according to the bin file, you got a 9700K installed. "3.6GHz CPU" is next to useless for us.

Can you run Userbenchmark and show us what it says, please? It can help identifying the problem.

Also, you can read out all of the stats asked here with HWInfo.

What is CPU boosting?
I havent OCed my CPU.
When I play spide-man miles morales, for example, I use FPS-Monitor, and it shows my CPU speeds are about 2000mhz. Is that normal? Shouldnt it be 3600mhz? When I close the game, FPS-Monitor says my CPU is at 4000mhz. When I use After Effects it shows my CPU at 3000mhz-3300mhz.
I would assume it should be the other way around.

I did "UserBnechmark" and I hope I am pasting the correct info you need:
-----

UserBenchmarks:
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K - 69.8%
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB - 104%
SSD: WD Black SN750 NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB (2019) - 225.4%
HDD: WD Green 1TB (2011) - 57.1%
USB: WD My Passport 0820 2TB - 31.6%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600 C18 1x16GB - 47.9%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-B365 M AORUS ELITE-CF

here is an image I took from the userbenchmark tool. It says my CPU is underperforming. Don't know what that means.

https://postimg.cc/5jtMT1Yd

https://postimg.cc/CRhCHvrN

and another question - I got two memory sticks:
stick A - 1333mhz 16GB
Stick B - 2700mhz (or so 16GB
I guess the faster one has its speed reduced to the speed of the slower one so they match.

Am I better off with just 16GB with one fast stick, or 32GB with two sticks, but slower?
I am asking for Gaming and working in After Effects

Last edited:

KyaraM

Admirable
What is CPU boosting?
I havent OCed my CPU.
When I play spide-man miles morales, for example, I use FPS-Monitor, and it shows my CPU speeds are about 2000mhz. Is that normal? Shouldnt it be 3600mhz? When I close the game, FPS-Monitor says my CPU is at 4000mhz. When I use After Effects it shows my CPU at 3000mhz-3300mhz.

-----

UserBenchmarks:

here is an image I took from the userbenchmark tool. It says my CPU is underperforming. Don't know what that means.

stick A - 1333mhz 16GB
I guess the faster one has its speed reduced to the speed of the slower one so they match.

Am I better off with just 16GB with one fast stick, or 32GB with two sticks, but slower?
No, that is most definitely not normal. Your CPU should boost to 4.6GHz when all cores are loaded and up to 4.9 when only one is working; that got jack to do with overclocking, it's Intel's ratings. At the very least, it should never drop below the base clock of 3.6GHz under load. Absolutely none of the clock speeds you mentioned are in any way normal, not even close, there is quite the problem here... let's see.

What cooler do you have? What temperatures is your CPU running at? Did you change any BIOS settings? I would presume not since your second screenshot says that only the faster RAM stick is being recognized and it runs at base clock of 2666MHz when it should run at 3600MHz under XMP.

Also, those RAM sticks are horribly mismatched. You want two fast sticks of the same speed and size, preferably bought as a kit. Mismatched sticks have a chance of not working. That can range from one not being recognized, as it seems to be case with your system, up to the system not even booting at all. At the same time, you absolutely do want two sticks, one in each channel the mainboard should provide, since that has double the bandwidth compared to single channel. For that reason, it would be good to know how your RAM is slotted. On most boards, it should be second and fourth slot from the CPU that are being used; so the one at the very right, then an empty slot, and then the second stick. The slot closest to the CPU should then also be empty.
https://pics.computerbase.de/forum/attachments/283/283862-9569673a0b37e43259e0e6a948c1b1a0.jpg
In this picture, that would be the dark grey slots.

adar.winter

Reputable
Nov 25, 2018
Damn. I always checked my GPU temp but not my CPU temp. I'm an idiot.
Look here:
https://postimg.cc/XGd1Bbbs

It seems to be running at close to 100 Celsius. I guess that's too hot and throttling my speeds, right?

Does it make sense that after upgrading my GPU and PSU somehow it made my CPU run too hot?

I have no special cooler. What is the best way to reduce my CPU temps?should I be looking for a new cpu fan? (if yes, than can you help me figure out the cheapest solution for my rig? I am not an enthusiast, as you might have guessed. )

It seems to be running at close to 100 Celsius. I guess that's too hot and throttling my speeds, right?
too hot for any environment.
this is passed the throttling point where the speeds dial back to lower temperature or the system just fails and shuts down.
What is the best way to reduce my CPU temps?
make sure to have good cool airflow throughout the case; enough intake to bring in cool air and enough exhaust to push out the heated air.

also a good CPU cooler.
there are very many good options out there these days.
what is your max budget?

and what case are you using to house this system?

adar.winter

Reputable
Nov 25, 2018
this is passed the throttling point where the speeds dial back to lower temperature or the system just fails and shuts down.

make sure to have good cool airflow throughout the case; enough intake to bring in cool air and enough exhaust to push out the heated air.

also a good CPU cooler.
what is your max budget?

How about I just show you the case.
Look here at a video I made:
View: https://youtu.be/eUQuQTK5DTU

will this cooler help me?
https://www.antec.com/product/cooling/a40-pro

It's cheap and accessible to me and I think it's simple enough to install so I can handle it myself.
I just need to know if it'll work. Im not gonna OC my rig. I don't need Nasa hardware. I find it hard to believe that people running my set up all have super

logainofhades

Titan
What is CPU boosting?
I havent OCed my CPU.

-----

UserBenchmarks:

stick A - 1333mhz 16GB

Mixing ram sticks is not a good idea. Your best option would be to buy an actual 2x16gb kit, and sell the other two. You do not want to run a single stick either. That will kill performance.

Reactions: KyaraM

KyaraM

Admirable

It's cheap and accessible to me and I think it's simple enough to install so I can handle it myself.
I just need to know if it'll work. Im not gonna OC my rig. I don't need Nasa hardware. I find it hard to believe that people running my set up all have super
Good morning.
Well, considering that this thing looks like an Intel stock cooler - which I don't think was even shipped with that CPU, so I wonder where it came from - it can almost only get better in cooling... but yes, that cooler you linked should do okay. Is that system a prebuilt?

Also, are there any front intake fans? From the video, it looks like it might be possible to install a fan in the front. And is it possible to route the cables in the back of the case? That would help with airflow as well and look much cleaner through that window.

About the RAM, as suggested above, get a kit with two sticks, either 16GB or 32GB total, it shouldn't matter that much for just gaming, and sell off the old two. I noticed online that your board can only run RAM up to 2666MHz. You got two options now. You can tailor your purchase to the system and get 2666MHz RAM. Or you can try for a faster kit (eg 3600MHz that will downclock) in case you are upgrading CPU and Mainboard soon to something like a Ryzen 5000 or a 12th/13th gen CPU. But both platforms are dead now and later on, DDR5 will be the new norm and you can't use DDR4 with those boards. It's up to you, though, what you want to do.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Damn. I always checked my GPU temp but not my CPU temp. I'm an idiot.
Look here:
https://postimg.cc/XGd1Bbbs

Does it make sense that after upgrading my GPU and PSU somehow it made my CPU run too hot?

I have no special cooler. What is the best way to reduce my CPU temps?should I be looking for a new cpu fan? (if yes, than can you help me figure out the cheapest solution for my rig? I am not an enthusiast, as you might have guessed. )

Whoops, how long (days/weeks) and hours at a time have you been running your CPU like that? You are lucky it has been throttling or your CPU would be dead right now.

Also what did you do that would have caused you to never notice with the old GPU? You must have either bumped the cooler, unseated the connector or something. It doesn't just suddenly start thermal throttling at max temps on its own.

Reactions: KyaraM

adar.winter

Reputable
Nov 25, 2018
So this is an update.

First of all - I want to thank every single one of you that commented, as it helped my pin point the issue.
I have installed a new cooler (a simple 125w TDP Antec A40 pro cooler) and now temps are normal and CPU usage while gaming is near 100% usage, and 65 degrees Celsius and I got around 30% increase in performance. Much better!

One thing I'm trying to figure out - it seems like my GPU usage is around 60% on average. Is that normal that my GPU is underused and not near 100% usage?

KyaraM

Admirable
So this is an update.

First of all - I want to thank every single one of you that commented, as it helped my pin point the issue.
I have installed a new cooler (a simple 125w TDP Antec A40 pro cooler) and now temps are normal and CPU usage while gaming is near 100% usage, and 65 degrees Celsius and I got around 30% increase in performance. Much better!

One thing I'm trying to figure out - it seems like my GPU usage is around 60% on average. Is that normal that my GPU is underused and not near 100% usage?
Two issues there. One, your CPU is, as you said, at near 100% useage. That means that it cannot keep up with your GPU, so the GPU is constantly waiting on the CPU to give it new frames to render (to put it in a quite simplified way). The second issue ties into the first and is something we talked about alread - your RAM. Right now, it seems you only use a single stick at 2666MHz. That is half the bandwidth you could have. Grab a cheap kit with two sticks, insert them as I described a couple posts ago, and you should see another bump up in performance. Will it be enough to get your GPU close to 100% utilization? Probably not. That would necessitate a newer CPU from kne of the more recent generations, but it would be a performance upgrade nonetheless!

But at least you now are much closer to where you could be, and you saved your CPU from heat death. That's quite an improvement already I think.

adar.winter

Reputable
Nov 25, 2018

also a good CPU cooler.
what is your max budget?

Two issues there. One, your CPU is, as you said, at near 100% useage. That means that it cannot keep up with your GPU, so the GPU is constantly waiting on the CPU to give it new frames to render (to put it in a quite simplified way). The second issue ties into the first and is something we talked about alread - your RAM. Right now, it seems you only use a single stick at 2666MHz. That is half the bandwidth you could have. Grab a cheap kit with two sticks, insert them as I described a couple posts ago, and you should see another bump up in performance. Will it be enough to get your GPU close to 100% utilization? Probably not. That would necessitate a newer CPU from kne of the more recent generations, but it would be a performance upgrade nonetheless!

But at least you now are much closer to where you could be, and you saved your CPU from heat death. That's quite an improvement already I think.
Thanks again for the help and advice :)

my current stick is 16gb corsair. I bought it pretty recently.
what if I just buy another 16GB 2666?
like this one maybe:
https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-FURY-2666MHz-KF426C16BB-16/dp/B097K3R6K2
I really dont want to through away the relatively new stick just to be extra triple certain of syncing them.

Also, until (and IF I get a new stick) , between the just TWO options I suggested - which is better for work in After Effects and for gaming?
the two sticks together - mismatched 32GB, or just the one 16GB 2666 stick?

KyaraM

Admirable

Thanks again for the help and advice :)

my current stick is 16gb corsair. I bought it pretty recently.
what if I just buy another 16GB 2666?
like this one maybe:
https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-FURY-2666MHz-KF426C16BB-16/dp/B097K3R6K2
I really dont want to through away the relatively new stick just to be extra triple certain of syncing them.

Also, until (and IF I get a new stick) , between the just TWO options I suggested - which is better for work in After Effects and for gaming?
the two sticks together - mismatched 32GB, or just the one 16GB 2666 stick?
Might work, might not work. I would at least get a second stick of the same model, namely a Corsair Vengeance LPX CL18 3600. Nobody said anything about throwing the sticks away, though. The recommendation was to sell them off, for example on Ebay or in a local store if possible. Until then, since the system only uses to begin with, you might just as well take out the slow stick. Who knows, maybe it even improves performance somewhat, though I doubt it.

Again, a matched kit is always the best option!

Last edited:

adar.winter

Reputable
Nov 25, 2018
Might work, might not work. I would at least get a second stick of the same model, namely a Corsair Vengeance LPX CL18 3600. Nobody said anything about throwing the sticks away, though. The recommendation was to sell them off, for example on Ebay or in a local store if possible. Until then, since the system only uses to begin with, you might just as well take out the slow stick. Who knows, maybe it even improves performance somewhat, though I doubt it.

Again, a matched kit is always the best option!

I ordered an IDENTICAL second stick from the same store where I bought the first one.

How far from optimal (a set) is that?
It's not like I'm gonna return it. just curious.

FYI - Working in After effects with a single 16gb 2666mhz stick is FAR worse than with 2 mismatched 16gb sticks.
The amount if much more important in that software than the speed of the sticks.

logainofhades

Titan
It can be quite far from optimal. Chances are very low, that that second stick came from the same silicon, as the original. This is why you always want to buy an actual kit of ram. That's the only way you can be sure to not have conflicts, between the two sticks of ram, as they are tested together.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $77.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-03 07:36 EST-0500

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost