News China's largest Core i9-14900K gaming cafe has suffered from instability issues since 2023 — the flagship store has 171 gaming PCs with Core i9-149...

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
I don't think I would ever have a reason to leave this place.
Broken computers!

Even if AMD was on Bulldozer, I would not recommend Intel...
Intel's old products are known good and far better than Bulldozer. 12th gen is working fine, as are the Alder Lake chips that got rebranded as 13th/14th gen. At the right prices (e.g. a cheap system on ebay), 10th gen Comet Lake or even the maligned 11th gen Rocket Lake are good.

Most people don't need cutting edge CPU performance and should consider buying CPUs that have been on the market for years, if the price is right.

Broken computers!

Intel's old products are known good and far better than Bulldozer. 12th gen is working fine, as are the Alder Lake chips that got rebranded as 13th/14th gen. At the right prices (e.g. a cheap system on ebay), 10th gen Comet Lake or even the maligned 11th gen Rocket Lake are good.

Most people don't need cutting edge CPU performance and should consider buying CPUs that have been on the market for years, if the price is right.
What you are saying is true, but without knowing what we know now anyone buying an i7-13700K, released in 2022, would also be out of luck despite "buying CPUs that have been on the market for years".

Reactions: usertests
So The issues they suffered for a year on overvolted, overclocked CPUs with apparently dodgy PSUs and heatsinks is somehow Intel's fault?
It doesn't say they were using dodgy PSUs. (power supply problems, heat dissipation problems, and CPU voltage problems)
Having the CPU overclocked is also perfectly fine as long as the CPU itself doesn't decide to override your settings and feed the CPU even more voltage causing instability and heat dissipation problems ... which is what the 13/14th gen is/was doing.

Saving an extra $200 on a cheap PSU doesn't make much sense when each computer potentially costs whatever $3700 in yen is! (Using Alienware r16 as a stand in)
More than likely each high end computer was ordered with the same model PSU as all the others.

We have a mixture of 10/11/12/13/14th gen Intel CPUs running at work (public library) on about 900 of our computers. (Mostly i5s so we dodged the bullet!)
Every few months we will get one that randomly gets an issue and sometimes that issue is with its power supply which is to be expected from our older computers since they are basically never shutdown for anything short of a hurricane.
What I'm getting at is if they have almost 700 PCs running high wattage hardware, 2-3 power supply issues a year wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

Reactions: NinoPino

Amdlova

Distinguished
People buy new high end nodes and think will last forever...
old nodes last forever new nodes after some benchmarks or stress tests will degrade.
It's why they give warranty of 3 years... after that Will only See Sorry...

With today specs its hard to see when a cpu has degraded bacause has automatic control on voltage.
drop clocks, mem clocks...
2600k is working at this moment with OC at day launch in some one house with no problems.
newer machines make forums be active as hell. My system keep crashing with my amd expo ddr5 over nine thousands HELP!

People buy new high end nodes and think will last forever...
old nodes last forever new nodes after some benchmarks or stress tests will degrade.
It's why they give warranty of 3 years... after that Will only See Sorry...

With today specs its hard to see when a cpu has degraded bacause has automatic control on voltage.
drop clocks, mem clocks...
2600k is working at this moment with OC at day launch in some one house with no problems.
newer machines make forums be active as hell. My system keep crashing with my amd expo ddr5 over nine thousands HELP!
One of my older mining rigs has a Ryzen 1500x and 3 Geforce 1060s.
Still kicking after all these years
Making a cool 50 cents a day!
I will honor its life by running it till it dies!

Reactions: Amdlova

Max The Dragon

Honorable
Jul 24, 2018
The rigs are about as high-end as it gets. Each Core i9-14900K is manually overclocked to 5.9 GHz, and the system RAM is overclocked to a blisteringly quick 8,533 MHz.
Well that's extremely tough settings. Because max stable clock for 14900k is around 5.5 GHz.
Plus there is no guarantee that ram will eventually be stable on that frequency.
I assuming that stability issues is because of this over clocking.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Well that's extremely tough settings. Because max stable clock for 14900k is around 5.5 GHz.
Plus there is no guarantee that ram will eventually be stable on that frequency.
I assuming that stability issues is because of this over clocking.
The voltages are the limiting factor on long term stability. At or below 1.4v should be fine, and since the story doesn't specify how many cores are at 5.9, I find it completely plausible that they can have a few cores running at 5.9 and the rest at 5.6 or 5.7 and stay at or below 1.4v, if tuned. Which it sounds like they are. Just have to raise the LLC some and do a bunch of undervolting. My 13900kf does 5.5/6.0 and stays low enough.

The 8533 sounds more impressive.

KraakBal

Reputable
May 23, 2020
What a loser. He would save so much money equipping them with 7800x3ds. And they perform better at gaming. And have a future upgradeable platform. But he obviously enjoys sucking Intel's lollies more than his own business efficiency

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
What a loser. He would save so much money equipping them with 7800x3ds. And they perform better at gaming. And have a future upgradeable platform. But he obviously enjoys sucking Intel's lollies more than his own business efficiency
The business just wants to fill the chairs.
If they save a bit on power but don't have their stuff used they are losing money.
You should call his customers losers since they are the ones disagreeing with you.