Question Clean install using Rufus - partitioning incompatibility

eco_bach

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015
Hi guys
Decided I needed to do a clean format of my PC for a Windows Install. Last time I did this was when I built my PC over 5 years ago and obviously should have taken better notes!
I have a dual boot setup with Disk 0 being my Linux install and Disk 1 at least WAS my Windows install. Running an AMD Megatrends BIOS.

But I don't care about dual boot at this point. I simply need to get Windows up and running!

WIll take you thru the steps sequentially to show you where I am at.
First created bootable USB media using defaults with Rufus.

And my first question
Does Rufus by default create 2 bootable partitions on your USB, UEFI and non-UEFI?
And my first error when I chose what I believe is the non-UEFI USB partition to boot from in my BIOS
(see attached)

To solve I followed the 2nd option and recreated my Rufus USB using MBR.
Then when booting agqin I get errors 2 and 3. Have no idea what error 0x
My goal is to simply do a clean install of Windows 10 on Disk 1.
But so even if I have to install on Disks 2 or 3 thats ok as well! (error is saying the partition type is incorrect)

Starting new job Monday and was actually hoping to do real work this weekend so ill be forever grateful for anyone that can walk me thru this!

Error1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/g8gvmoTTeavCZZjY6

Errors 2 and 3
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kJjTFbNA85zKvmTKA

1. First decide, if you want UEFI install or legacy install.
  2. Create appropriate Windows install media with rufus.
  3. Have only single drive connected, while installing windows. Physically disconnect all the other drives.
  4. Clean target drive before installing windows. Use diskpart clean method. Press Shift+F10 to open command prompt during install. All data gets removed from the drive. Do not clean the wrong drive.
ka03A000000mKf2QAE__11.jpg

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hi guys
Decided I needed to do a clean format of my PC for a Windows Install. Last time I did this was when I built my PC over 5 years ago and obviously should have taken better notes!
I have a dual boot setup with Disk 0 being my Linux install and Disk 1 at least WAS my Windows install. Running an AMD Megatrends BIOS.

But I don't care about dual boot at this point. I simply need to get Windows up and running!

WIll take you thru the steps sequentially to show you where I am at.
First created bootable USB media using defaults with Rufus.

And my first question
Does Rufus by default create 2 bootable partitions on your USB, UEFI and non-UEFI?
And my first error when I chose what I believe is the non-UEFI USB partition to boot from in my BIOS
(see attached)

To solve I followed the 2nd option and recreated my Rufus USB using MBR.
Then when booting agqin I get errors 2 and 3. Have no idea what error 0x
My goal is to simply do a clean install of Windows 10 on Disk 1.
But so even if I have to install on Disks 2 or 3 thats ok as well! (error is saying the partition type is incorrect)

Starting new job Monday and was actually hoping to do real work this weekend so ill be forever grateful for anyone that can walk me thru this!

Error1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/g8gvmoTTeavCZZjY6

Errors 2 and 3
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kJjTFbNA85zKvmTKA
The easiest solution is to use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from Microsoft. It’s definitely less effort and you end up with the same thing… minus the non-working installation.

eco_bach

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015
Thanks for the reply!!
These are the commands I was going to use

clean
create part pri
active
format fs=ntfs label = 512Windows quick

1 What command to use to change the partitioning scheme from MBR to GPT?

Next will reboot again into my Rufus USB to do a clean install of Windows

2 Knowing the above how do I configure my Rufus USB at the very beginning? ie s there any advantage in choosing the dual UEFI + Legacy option (alt+E) ?

and

3 If I choose UEFI nonCSM in Rufus, does this mean that I MUST have CSM disabled in my actual UEFI-BIOS?

The issue and why I need to clean-repartition is that this drive was part of a dual boot setup with linux on another drive and for some reason I forget I had a MBR paritioning scheme on this Windows drive.

Last edited:
These are the commands I was going to use
clean
create part pri
active
format fs=ntfs label = 512Windows quick
No.
You do not have to create any partitions.
Windows install will do the partitioning and create all the necessary partitions by itself.

If you try to do it manually, then you have to do it exactly like windows want's it. Or result can be unusable for windows install.