Cleaning Monitor?

jaslr

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
How do you guys clean your monitor?

I have got a new crt monitor and I haven't cleaned it yet but I am not sure how I go about it. Can I just use normal household glass cleaner spray with newspaper? Or something else?

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
Try buying some professional cleaning products. I found this company that ahs a reputable name in LCD and CRT cleaning products. The company is Klear Screen. They have products that Viewsonic, Apple, Sony etc. recommends and uses. Lint-free cloths are one of the best cleaners for LCD and CRT. You should be careful in using cleaners to wipe your screen. You could damage it with scratches if you use newspaper. Why newspaper anyway? cotton or a soft tissue would be better but lint-free cloths are one of the best...as for solutions or sprays you should check your monitor manual on what chemicals that shouldn't be in the solution that you are applying on the screen. I am personally going to buy a cleaning kit from Klear Screen as they are the pros in these field.

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Avoid unknown solutions. If in doubt, don't use it. Water, towel, and a little pressure is good enough. Just make sure you follow up with a dry towel to prevent water marks.

Quality is better than name brand, even regarding beloved AMD.

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
Windex?

<font color=blue>I want to save the world for my children, but not my children's children, because children shouldn't be having sex. - Deep Thought</font color=blue>

A small dab of saliva and a clean cloth does the trick as good as any cleaning product I've seen. I'm not kidding, it really shifts stubborn marks and does no harm to the surface.

:eek: Wingding - sugar and spice and all things vice :eek:

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
Consult the monitor's manual. It has all the harmful chemicals you should avoid using on your monitor screen. I really suggest spending a few bucks on professional cleaning.

Wingding do you know what your saliva is composed of? Almost any solution will remove fingerprints and other stubborn marks but how sure are you that your saliva is not harmful on the monitor's screen.

jaslr

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
Thanks.

I ended up using a moist cloth and it did an ok job.

I suggested Newspaper because that's what I use to clean mirrors and windows in the house.

Regards

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
open it up and stick a fork into the capacitators. realy it works...

Dungeons and Dragons Famous Last Words:
"C'mon DM,let's see some REAL monsters!" And then you turn the corner as the Dungeon Master chuckles... DM: "It hits and... Oh hold on... I need more dice"

Secretninja

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
Newspaper is the best thing to remove bugs from a car windscreen but on a monitor?? I think that would damage the anti glare on the screen.

Now thats what I want to know!

juggyscott

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
Never use windex. I wrecked the coating on my NEC 95F by using it. The monitor was replaced by NEC because it said right in their instruction manual to use "glass cleaner". Imagine that!!!

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I use cleaners made for eyeglasses, (which often have anti-glare and non-reflective coatings) ... combined with a lint-free cotton cloth, like a diaper, or strips of an old, linen bed sheet.

I buy my cleaning solution directly from this <A HREF="http://www18.mawebcenters.com/storminnorman/productCat24291.ctlg" target="_new">distributor</A>, who also supplies my local optometrist.

It isn't necessary to use anything like this very often ... often, just a dab of water and a clean cloth are all that is needed to remove dirt and dust, unless you happen to be a smoker. Just don't use so much liquid that it runs down into the monitor.

Don't use paper or standard window cleaners, as paper can scratch the coating on the screen, and strong chemicals like alcohol and ammonia can also cause damage.

Toey

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>A better place to be</font color=orange></i>. :wink: