Alpaxj

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2013
Hi All,
Im looking for some help regarding a really weird issue.
I have an AUROS GAMING 9 motherboard which works perfectly with the 7740X 16 Lane CPU.

Auros Gaming 9 - https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/X299-AORUS-Gaming-9-rev-10#kf
7740X - https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...series-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html
10940X - https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...x-series-processor-19-25m-cache-3-30-ghz.html

I recently bought a 10940X after trying a 10900X CPU but both 10th Gen CPU's dont seem to work in the AUROS G9 Motherboard.
No boot, just constant clicking noises.

I have tried:
- updating to bios F8i and F8m
-removing all components and just left mobo, psu and cpu in (tried without ram)

I think i have a duff motherboard that doesnt work with the latest 48 Lane CPU's.

Anyone come across this issue before? Any ideas?

This is exactly what im seeing:
View: https://youtu.be/Ii8gDpDGAgI

Last edited:
Solution
I see you still have all the memory on a single side of the board. The larger CPU supports the other memory slots as well, move some of the memory over there, it may just not like having only that side populated.

I didn't see the F8L BIOS as available to download. Only the older F8i BIOS which didn't offer support for 10th gen.

I am pointing out that there appears to have been a different BIOS available at some point and that F8i and F8L are clearly not the same thing, something they should make more clear or update the CPU support list to show F8M rather than F8L.

Also found this advisory from Intel:
NoteUpdating your BIOS to support the Intel® Core™ i9-10980XE, i9-10940X, i9-10920X, and i9-10900X...

Lutfij

Titan
Your PC is in dire need of attention/cleaning. The click is coming from the PSU? If so, then you might want to source another reliably build PSU and try and power the system with the 10Th gen processor in there. I'd also ask you to inspect the CPU socket for any bent or broken pins. How old is the PSU in your build?

Alpaxj

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2013
Your PC is in dire need of attention/cleaning. The click is coming from the PSU? If so, then you might want to source another reliably build PSU and try and power the system with the 10Th gen processor in there. I'd also ask you to inspect the CPU socket for any bent or broken pins. How old is the PSU in your build?

I have taken everything apart just have the motherboard , CPU, RAM and PSU connected outside of the case.
The clicking is definately coming from the Motherboard. The PSU is around 6 years old.

Bearing in mind this is a 165w CPU , a AX860 (860w) PSU should power this no problem surely?

RAM - Corsair CM4X8GD3200C16K4

Pretty sure its not the ram as the ram worked on this fine before.

Im certain there is some compatibility issue with the 10th Gen series for this Motherboard, but i cant figure out what the issue exactly is.

Its either a power draw issue, or it could be that the motherboard doesnt support the 48 Lane CPU even though the website says it does.

No bent pins or anything like.

So weird....

Alpaxj

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2013
Interesting to note that the CPU support list shows a F8L BIOS version for 10th gen CPUs. Though presumably superseded by F8M, which is the only one that should work for 10th gen.

Yes, i've tried both F8L and F8M, both dont work, putting 7740x back in works perfectly fine.

I should mention too that the CPU LED + Power LED Lights is consistantly red/orange on power on for like 3 seconds then just turns off with a click and restarts the system again.

Could it be AUTO Bios settings causing a fault or something?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I see you still have all the memory on a single side of the board. The larger CPU supports the other memory slots as well, move some of the memory over there, it may just not like having only that side populated.

I didn't see the F8L BIOS as available to download. Only the older F8i BIOS which didn't offer support for 10th gen.

I am pointing out that there appears to have been a different BIOS available at some point and that F8i and F8L are clearly not the same thing, something they should make more clear or update the CPU support list to show F8M rather than F8L.

NoteUpdating your BIOS to support the Intel® Core™ i9-10980XE, i9-10940X, i9-10920X, and i9-10900X processors WILL remove compatibility with the follow Intel ® Core™ X-series processors: i5-7640X, i7-7740X.

From that it seems you haven't gone to the appropriate BIOS level if your old CPU still works? Or are you re-flashing to get to that point?

Found some benchmark scores with that board and 10th gen CPUs, no BIOS revision mentioned though, but it does show that the processor does work in that board.

Solution

Alpaxj

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2013

NoteUpdating your BIOS to support the Intel® Core™ i9-10980XE, i9-10940X, i9-10920X, and i9-10900X processors WILL remove compatibility with the follow Intel ® Core™ X-series processors: i5-7640X, i7-7740X.

From that it seems you haven't gone to the appropriate BIOS level if your old CPU still works? Or are you re-flashing to get to that point?

Found some benchmark scores with that board and 10th gen CPUs, no BIOS revision mentioned though, but it does show that the processor does work in that board.

This is interesting... I have gone to the latest bios F8M but it still works with the 7740X in it. Your quote from Intel implies that i may have missed a step?? I updated the BIOS through the QFlash Software in the bios itself. I assume this is the proper procedure? I've always done it this way. There cant be a seperate step for 10th Gen CPU's surely?

Is there something on the mobo itself that might be missing like a jump switch?

Things i have checked:
  • All the CPU FAN/OPT headers are covered correctly with cooler and case fans.
  • 2 x 8 pin both connected to PSU and in correct 4+4 slots ( i tried with just 1 x 8pin CPU too)
  • Memory:
- tried both 2 DIMMS only in slot: DDR4_2_1C, DDR4_1_1D
- tried 4 DIMM in DDR4_1_1B, DDR4_2_1A, DDR4_2_1C, DDR4_1_1D
- tried using a single DIMM too in slot DDR4_2_1C
- Tried clearing CMOS

Alpaxj

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2013
My only thought would be to update the BIOS without the CPU installed. Might be configuring something to match the i7-7740X that doesn't get along with the newer CPU.

https://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/121/tech_qflash.htm

Thanks, i have just tried the EFIFLASH using rufus freedos (bootable USB) stick instead of using the QFlash utility. The Efiflash replaced both main and backup bios and cleared DMI. Before it restarted and turned back on, i turned the PC off after the update and swapped the CPU's over, then started it backup but still same issue....

Leaving the CPU out has the same clicking and restarting effect. So the motherboard just doesnt seem to be recognising the CPU. LED stays contstant red until restart 3-5 seconds later.

unless somehow i got a dodgy CPU