Question Cloned windows 10 to SSD, won't boot

hdgro11

Prominent
Jul 9, 2018
Ok so I have installed windows 10 on my HDD, then used EaseUS to clone the boot partition (where windows is installed) to my SSD, then I marked the SSD as active using diskpart. I turned off the pc, I disconnected the HDD, made sure the SSD is first in boot order, and fired up my PC, only to be prompted by the message
"An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that dont contain an operating system. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"
Anyone know what am I supposed to do? Windows 10 is still on my HDD, so I have full access to windows and any tools that' help me make my SSD bootable. Its a 120 GB Kingston A400, if this helps with anything.

USAFRet

Titan
Ok so I have installed windows 10 on my HDD, then used EaseUS to clone the boot partition (where windows is installed) to my SSD, then I marked the SSD as active using diskpart. I turned off the pc, I disconnected the HDD, made sure the SSD is first in boot order, and fired up my PC, only to be prompted by the message
"An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that dont contain an operating system. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"
Anyone know what am I supposed to do? Windows 10 is still on my HDD, so I have full access to windows and any tools that' help me make my SSD bootable. Its a 120 GB Kingston A400, if this helps with anything.
Cloning doesn't work like that.
You can't clone only the boot partition and expect things to work.

Please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window, running from the HDD.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It's been awhile since I used EaseUS to clone a SSD, but the older versions used to fail to clone the boot sector unless you specifically ticked a box to do so. You might check to see if there is any indication like that in the pgm that you missed.

Why did you first install windows on the other drive? Just run the setup on the SSD with the drive disconnected then plug in the other drive. You are doing double the work.

Or are you saying you are trying to clone your old Windows setup to the SSD?

You also don't need to do anything with the partition to mark it active.

hdgro11

Prominent
Jul 9, 2018
Why did you first install windows on the other drive? Just run the setup on the SSD with the drive disconnected then plug in the other drive. You are doing double the work.

Or are you saying you are trying to clone your old Windows setup to the SSD?

You also don't need to do anything with the partition to mark it active.
Thing is I've been trying to make a bootable USB, but that won't work for some reason, the media creation tool wouldn't put windows 10 right on the usb, and I'd get an error during setup, and the stick won't format into NTFS, only in FAT32, for which the ISO is too large to be able to put it on the USB with Rufus. So i said ** it and installed it on my hdd, then tried to clone it to my SSD, but that doesnt work either. At this point I gave up, and asked a friend of mine to give me a USB that is known to work for installing windows 10